Vibrational spectroscopy: an effective technique for characterization and failure analysis of automotive materials
- 1The Automotive Research Association of India, Environment Research Laboratory, Pune, India
- 2The Automotive Research Association of India, Environment Research Laboratory, Pune, India
- 3The Automotive Research Association of India, Environment Research Laboratory, Pune, India
- 4The Automotive Research Association of India, Environment Research Laboratory, Pune, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 10, Issue (3), Pages 53-59, October,18 (2020)
Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) is used to identify compounds very rapidly and conclusively. Plastics, rubbers, fillers, paints, coatings, resins, adhesives and blends are some examples of compounds which can be identified by using FTIR. The sensitivity of FTIR enables detection of contamination present in very small quantity which makes it a vital tool for quality control and quality assurance applications. Thus, FTIR plays an important role to compare batch-to-batch products for meeting quality standards. This paper presents application of FTIR as an effective tool for evaluation of materials. A few case studies of analysis of variety of automotive materials including contaminate analysis of brake fluid, fabric sample used in roof lining of passenger car, painted panel of fuel tank and compatibility of material with alternate fuel using FTIR are presented. The evaluation using FTIR for the above cases provided objective evidences for confirmation of probable causes for material failure.
- Sanches, N.B., Pedro, R., Diniz, M.F., Mattos, E.C., Cassu, S.N. and Dutra, R.C.L. (2013)., Infrared Spectroscopy Applied to Materials Used as Thermal Insulation and Coatings., Journal of Aerospace Technology, 5(4), 421-430.
- González, M., Cabanelas, J.C and Baselga, B. (2012)., Applications of FTIR on Epoxy Resins - Identification, Monitoring the Curing Process, Phase Separation and Water Uptake., Infrared Spectroscopy - Materials Science, Engineering and Technology, 13, 261-284.
- Braden, G., Georgina, S., and Simon W.L. (2020)., Discrimination of Automotive Window Tint using ATR-FTIR Spectroscopy and Chemometrics., Forensic Science International, 313, doi: 2020.110338.
- Abdelkarim, O., Abdellatif, M.H., Khalil, D. and Bassioni, G. (2020)., FTIR and UV in steel pipeline coating application., International Journal of GEOMAT, 18(69), 130-135.
- Barrios, V.E., Méndez, J.R.,PérezAguilar, N.V., Espinosa, G.A and Rodríguez, J.D. (2018)., FTIR - An Essential Characterization Technique for Polymeric Materials., Instituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnólogica, A.C. (IPICYT), Mexico.
- Munajad, A., Subroto, C., and Suwarno (2018)., Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy Analysis of Transformer Paper in Mineral Oil-Paper Composite Insulation under Accelerated Thermal Aging., Energies, 11(2), 364-376.
- DAVARCIOĞLU, B. (2010)., FTIR Spectroscopic Techniques for Quantitative Characterization by Abrasion with Potassium Bromide., International Journal of Natural & Engineering Sciences, 4(2).
- Patel, R., Patel, C., and Rajesh, K.S. (2014)., Quantitative Analytical applications of FTIR Spectroscopy in Pharmaceutical and Allied Areas., Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research, 4(2), 145-158.
- Meleiro, P.P. and García-Ruiz, C. (2015)., Spectroscopic techniques for the forensic analysis of textile fibers., Applied Spectroscopy Reviews, 51(4), 278-301.
- Kapoor, S., Goyal, M. and Jindal, P. (2020)., Effect of functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes on thermal and mechanical properties of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene nanocomposite., Journal of Polymer Research, (2020), 27:40.
- Berthomieu, C. and Hienerwadel, R. (2009)., Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy., Photosynthesis Research, 101, 157-170.
- Dole, M.N., Patel, P.A., Sawant, S.D. and Shedpure, P.S. (2011)., Advance Applications of Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy., International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 7(2), 159-166.
- Yanfeng, G., Xidong, L., Weining, B., Shaohua, L., and Chao, W. (2018)., Failure Analysis of a Field Brittle Fracture Composite Insulator: Characterization by FTIR Analysis and Fractography., IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 25(3), 919-927.
- Bhargava, R., Wang, S.Q. and Koening, J.L. (2003)., FTIR Microspectroscopy of polymeric systems., Adv Polym Sci, 163, 137-191.
- Wilkie, C.A. (1999)., TGA/FTIR: An extremely useful technique for studying polymer degradation., Polymer Degradation and Stability, 66(3) 301-306.
- Malek, M.A., Nakazawa, T., Kang, H.-W., Tsuji, K., Ro, Chul. (2019)., Multi-Modal Compositional Analysis of Layered Paint Chips of Automobiles by the Combined Application of ATR-FTIR Imaging., Raman Microspectrometry, and SEM/EDX. Molecules, 24(7), 1381-1397.
- Simonescu, C.M., (2012)., Application of FTIR Spectroscopy in Environmental Studies., doi: 10.5772/ 48331, 1-36.
- Visser, T. (2006)., Infrared Spectroscopy in Environmental Analysis., National Institute of Public Health and The Environment.
- Chakraborty, S., Bandyopadhyay, S.,Ameta R., Mukhopadhyay, R., and Deurib, A.S. (2006)., Application of FTIR in characterization of acrylonitrile-butadiene rubber (nitrile rubber)., Polymer Testing, 26, 38-41.
- Aniol, A., Grosse, T., Fischer, F., and Bohm S. (2020)., Evaluation of adhesion properties of lignin-epoxy adhesives in structural wood applications for automotive components., Journal Process Mechanical Engineering, 0(0), 1-9.