Quality assessment of potable water from treatment plant storage reservoirs in Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria
- 1Chemistry Department, Benue State University, PMB 102119, Makurdi, Nigeria
- 2Geography Department, Benue State University, PMB 102119, Makurdi, Nigeria
- 3Nigerian Stored Products Research Institute, PMB 5044, Dugbe, Ibadan, Nigeria
- 4Chemistry Department, Benue State University, PMB 102119, Makurdi, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 10, Issue (1), Pages 17-22, February,18 (2020)
This research was conducted to assess the quality status of potable water in Makurdi, Nigeria. The reservoirs from which potable water was collected as samples in various surface water treatment plants was 32. The mean physicochemical and Bacteriological parameters were carried out; Range of parameters obtained were, TDS 500±3.35-1860±3.38mg/L, Conductivity 62±1.35-75±1.11μS/cm, Copper 0.08±0.01-0.09±0.02mg/L, E.coli 0-10±0.5. The results obtained can be said to be of low quality measured against standards, hence there is need for improvement in water treatment processes.
- Meseret B.A. (2012)., Assessment of Drinking Water Quality and Determinants of house hold Portable Water Consumption in Simada District, Ethiopia., (Master′s thesis in Professional Studies), Cornell University, Ithaca NY USA.
- World Health Organization (WHO, 2011)., Guidelines for drinking water quality., 4th Edition. Available online at http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241548151_eng.pdf Accessed on 25th
- Efe S.I., Ogban F.E, Horsfall M. and Akporhonor E.E. (2005)., Seasonal variation of Physico-chemical Characteristics in water Resources Quality in Western Niger Delta Region, Nigeria., Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management, 9(1), 191-195.
- Burke J.J. and Moench M.H. (2000)., Groundwater and Society: Responses and Opportunities., United Nations Publication, No99, 11A.
- FAO (2003)., Groundwater management: The Search for Practical Approaches., Water Report, 25, Food and Agricultural Organisation.
- Richardson S., Evans R., Middlemis H., Ross J., Howe P., Hiller J. and Dayson P. (2004)., Guiding principles for sustainable groundwater management., IAH Background paper.
- Villholth K.G. (2006)., Groundwater assessment and management: Implications and opportunities for globalization., Hydrogeology Journal, 14, 330-339.
- EPA (2012)., Environmental Protection Agency Basic information about copper in drinking water., Available on http://water.epa.gov/drinking/contaminants/basicinformation/copper.cfm. Last update on 6 March, 2012.
- Kolo B., Dibal J.M. and Ndakawa I.I. (2009)., Elemental analysis of tap and borehole waters in Maiduguri, semi arid region, Nigeria., European Journal of Applied Sciences, 1(2), 26-29.
- Caliandro A., Hamdy A., Lacirignola C. and Catalano M. (1995)., Environmental Impacts of Water Resources Development and management., CIHEAM-Options, Mediterraneens.
- NPC (2006)., National Population Commission, The Nigeria Census., Federal Government of Nigeria.
- Kogbe C.A., Torkaeshi A., Osijuk D. and Wozney D.E. (1978)., Geology of Makurdi Sheet 257 in the middle, Nigeria., Occassional Publication 5, Department of Geology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.