Challenges and prospects of school libraries in Kenya: a case of Kiambu County, Kenya
- 1Department of Library and Information Science, School of Education, Kenyatta University, Nairobi City, Kenya
- 2School of Information Management, Central China Normal University, Wuhan, Hubei, China
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 18-21, January,21 (2019)
This paper assesses the current state of school libraries in Kenya in relation to perception, utilization and management as well as the challenges and prospects. The objectives include establishing the user and management perception about school libraries and examining their functionality. The paper noted low perception and minimal usage of school libraries. The challenges include lack of legislation that emphasizes mandatory establishment of school libraries, standards and guidelines. School libraries are not seen as core in teaching and learning but as peripheral school program.
- Carroll F.L. (1981)., Recent Advances in School Librarianship., Pergamum, 3(1), 10-12.
- Dike V.W. (1981)., School Libraries in Nigeria., Comparative Educational Review, 26(2), 221-234.
- Woolls B. (2004)., The school library media manager., CT Libraries Unlimited, 9(14), 47-62.
- Trehan G.L. (1985)., School Libraries Management., Sterling Publishers, 4(3), 21-34.
- Killong G.C. (1986)., A Study of Library Facilities in Selected Secondary Schools with Particular Reference to their Management, Organization and Use in Bungoma District, Western Province, Kenya., Kenyatta University, Kenya.
- Kithumbu W.A. (2010)., A Survey of the Qualifications of Librarians in Selected Primary Schools in Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya., Kenyatta University, Kenya.
- Khisa W.H.L. (1986)., A Survey of the Learning Materials in Selected Primary Schools in Nairobi; Management, Organization and Use., Kenyatta University, Kenya.
- Greenwood H. and Maynard S. (2010)., Successful Primary School Libraries in Challenging Circumstances., New Review of Children's Literature and Librarianship, 15(2), 89-113.
- Gordon C. (2009)., Raising active voices in school libraries: authentic learning, information processing and guided inquiry., Scan, 28(3), 34-41.