Citation analysis of Ph.D. Theses in Economics submitted to University of Gulbarga, Karnataka during 1984-2002
- 1Dept of Library & Information Science Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi, Karnataka, India
- 2Dept of Library & Information Science Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi, Karnataka, India
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 1-8, August,21 (2017)
1190 citations in the Doctoral Theses submitted in the Department of Economics, Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi, Karnataka, India. The present study 16 Ph.D. Theses of Economics were chosen as a sample from the year 1984-1985 to 1989-2002. The data was collected from the bibliographical entries listed at the end of the Theses, which was used by the researchers for completing the Theses. A citation analysis of Ph.D. Theses submitted to Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi Library was performed as a way of determining the use of information sources made by the scholars of the university. The citations were photocopied and the data was collected. Citation analyses have been carried out to find the types of cited document, the chronological distribution of cited documents, to find out the authorship pattern of cited document. Data were analysed to ascertain the authorship patterns, country wise book citation, and ranking of journals by citation frequency. It is found that books and journals are the most dominant form in which information is communicated in economics. And the single authorship prevails in the citations.
- Diodato V. (1994)., Dictionary of bibliometrics., Binghampton, NY: the Haworth Press, Inc.
- Liu M. (1993)., A study of citation motivation of Chinese scientists., Journal of Information Science, 19(1), 13-23.
- Ali Amjad (2006)., Ane, Set. Published by Ane Books Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, 3. ISBN 10: 8180520153 ISBN 13: 9788180520150.
- Sangam S.L. (2013)., Citation analysis of doctoral dissertation in Social Sciences accepted by the Karnataka University, Dharwad during 1964 to 1982 (Unpublished Thesis)., Gulbarga University, Gulbarga.
- Zafrinnisha N. (2012)., Citation analysis of PhD theses in psychology of selected Universities in Andhra Pradesh, India., Lib. Philosophy and Practice.
- Jadhav V., Khaprade V.S. and Shelke Santosh M. (2011)., Citation analysis of University News Journal., NFLIBNET Centre.
- Jan Rosy (2009)., Citation analysis of Library Trends., Webology, 6(1), 1-10.
- Deshmukh Prashant P. (2011)., Citations in Annals of Library and Information Studies from 1997- 2010: A study., Annals Lib. Inf. Studies, 58, 355-361.
- Chikate R.V. and Patil S.K. (2008)., Citation analysis of theses in library and information science submitted to University of Pune: A pilot study., Lib. Philosophy and Practice, 1-15.
- Okiy Rose B. (2003)., A citation analysis of education dissertations at the Delta State University, Abraka, Nigeria., Collection Building, 22(4), 158-161.
- Hirwade M.A. and Dankhade S.S. (2002)., Citation analysis of doctoral research in economics., ILA Bulletin, 38, 36-45.
- Buttlar L. (1999)., Information sources in library and information science doctoral research., Lib. Inf. Sci. Res., 21(2), 227-245.
- Schneider J.M. and Borlund Pia (2004)., Introduction to bibliometrics for construction and maintenance of thesauri., Journal of Documentation, 60(5), 524-549.
- Sharif M.A. and Mahmood K. (2004)., How economists cite literature : citation analysis of two core Pakistani Economic Journal., Collection Building, 23(4), 172-176.
- Gorman G.E. (2005)., How do we count our chickens? Or do citation counts count?., Online Information Review, 29(6), 581-584.
- Turk N. (2008)., Citation impact of open access journals., New Library World, 109(1/2), 65-74.
- Tang R. and Safer M.A. (2008)., Author-rated importance of cited references in biology and psychology publication., Journal of Documentation, 64(2), 246-272.
- Mishra R. (1997)., Citation analysis of doctoral dissertations in Library and Information Science accepted by the Universities of Orissa and Manipur till 1993: A comparative study (Unpublished Thesis)., Sambalpur University, Sambalpur.
- Kannappanavar B.U. (1991)., Authorship trend and solo research in rural transformation: A Biliometric study., ILA Bulletin, 27(1), 38-41.
- Thoidingjam P. (1997)., Citation analysis of Ph.D. Theses in Social Science accepted by Gauhati University during 1970-1980 (Unpublished Thesis)., Manipur University, Imphal.
- Berhanuddin M. (1992)., Indian contribution to American Studies : an investigation into the growth of literature using the bibliometric citation analysis. (Unpublished thesis)., Jiwaji University, Gwalior.
- Bauer K. and Bakkalbasi N. (2005)., An examination of citation counts in a new scholarly communication environment., D-Lib Magazine, 11(9).
- Sengupta I.N. (1991)., Four measuring techniques in library and information science., Indian Journal of 139 Information and Library Society, 4(3-4), 197-227.
- Singh G., Mittal R. and Ahmad M. (2007)., A Bibliometric study of literature on digital libraries., The Electronic Library, 25(3), 342-348.
- Paul M. and Roy R. (1983)., Developing horizons in Library and Information Science., Printwell Publication, CT: Jaipur, 226.
- Sudhier Pillai K.G. (2007)., Journals citations in Physics doctoral dissertations of Indian Institute of Science., Annals Lib. Inf. Studies, 54(4), 177-184.
- Warmell I. (1998)., Informetrics: an emerging subdiscipline in information science., Asian Libraries, 7(10), 257-268.