Utilization of Information Sources and Services by Science Students: A Case Study at Karnatak University, Dharwad, India
- 1Prof. S. S. Basavanal Library, Karnatak University, Dharwad-580003, India
- 2Department of Library and Information Science, Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta-577 451,
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 4, Issue (2), Pages 9-13, February,21 (2016)
The present study aims to study the usage of information sources and services by the science students and their satisfaction level. The study reveals that among the other science departments, 24(25%) of students from Zoology. The data reveals that most of the users use the library for Internet Browsing (16.27%), to read books (15.59%), and to access Online/Electronic resources (12.57%). It is found that there is a marked preference for reference books 64(66.7), and newspapers (22.9%) which are used frequently. It can be observed that majority of respondents 57(59.4%) use reference services, whereas 36(37.5%) respondents making use of E-mail and web services. Majority of respondents facing problem in locating the needed material 53(55.2%), old damaged multiplied books and journals 42(43.8%) etc.
- Rahiman SAF and Tamizhchelven M (2011), Informationseeking behavior of students of engineering college inand around Coimbatore, a study. European Journal ofScientific Research, 61(2), 265-72.
- Ranganathan S and Babu KS (2012), Awareness and useof library information resources and services in OsmaniaUniversity, Hydrabad, International Journal of Libraryand Information Studies., 2(3), 42-54.
- Saikia, Mukesh and Gohain, Anjan (2013), Use andUserís Satisfaction on Library Resources and Services inTezpur University(India): a study. Library Philosophyand Practice (e-journal). Paper 972.http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/972
- Sohil MD, Pandye A and Upadhyaya K (2012), Use oflibrary resources in university libraries by students: asurvey with special reference the University of Kalian, IASIC Bulletine., 57(2):122-128.
- Tahira M, Alias RA and Ameen K (2011), Seekingonline information sources among science faculties ofdeveloping countries, Library Philosophy and practice(ejournals).