Use of Library Resources and Services by Students of PESITM and JNN College of Engineering in Shivamogga: A Comparative Study
- 1Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta-577 451, Shimoga
- 2Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta-577 451, Shimoga
- 3Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta-577 451, Shimoga
- 4Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta-577 451, Shimoga
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 4, Issue (1), Pages 1-10, January,21 (2016)
This research has been undertaken to identify and document how the resources and services of libraries are being utilised by the students of two engineering college libraries (PESITM and JNNCE) in Shivamogga city. Study sample consisted of 194 students from two colleges. The findings of the study revealed that the difficulties in locating the needed materials by the students and lack of latest collection are true for both college libraries, and are the major causes amongst other problems. The observed difference between PESITM and JNNCE in this comparative study is significant. Services offered in both libraries differ in some cases such as: Digital library, Virtual library and E-resources. Recommendations from the study presented are: two studied libraries should improve physical facilities such as study rooms; proper lighting and ventilation, etc.; and speed up and complete the computerization of services.
- Fowowe S.O. (1989), Studentsí use of an academiclibrary: A survey. Library and Information ScienceReview 7(1), 47-57.
- Singh S.P. (1999), Readerís Services in IIT Libraries(India): A Comparative Study, Library Herald, 37(3),167-185. Retrieved on 2 March 2013, http://books.google.co.in/books?id=lfDgAAAAMAAJandq=Reader%E2%80%99s+Services+in+IIT+Libraries+(India):+A+Comparative+Study% E2%80%9Dandhl=enandsa=Xandei=zHyTUd_jIMPhrAf5p4GQDQandved=0CDMQ6AEwAA
- Biradar S. and Kumar Sampath B.T. (2003), Evaluationof information services and facilities offered by D.V.S.Polytechnic College Library, A case study. CLISObserver, 20(3and4), 99-104.
- Mallaiah T.Y., Kumbar S.S. and Mudhol M.V. (2008), Use of Library in Mangalore University Library: A Studyof Users Opinion, In Patil, D. B. and Kooganuramath,M.M. (2008) ed. Library and Information Science. NewDelhi: A P H Publishing Corporation,154Ė166
- Kumar Devendra (2009), Information needs of facultymembers and research scholars of ChaudharyCharanSingh University: A case study, Library Philosophy andPractice (E-Journal), Annual Volume, May 2009.Retrieved June 1, 2010 from http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1266andcontext=libphilprac
- Gunasekera (2010), Students Usage of an academicLibrary: a user survey conducted at the Main LibraryUniversity of Peradeniya, Journal of the UniversityLibrarians Association of Sri Lanka, 14 (1). Retrieved onFeb.7 2013, http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=tandrct=jandq=students%20usage%20of%20an%20academic%20library%
- Murugan BO, et.al (2012), A study on library usage andICT skills among the internees of a rural medical collegein Tamilnadu, SRELS Journal of InformationManagement, 49(3), 305-315. Retrieved on March 22013, from http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:sjimandvolume=49andissue=3andarticle=008