Projectile motion using Mathematica
- 1Central Campus of Science and Technology, Mid-Western University, Surkhet, Nepal
Res. J. Physical Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 7-11, September,4 (2019)
When anybody is thrown into space at some velocity by making an angle with horizontal, then it moves under the influence of gravity alone is known as a projectile. When air is present, it moves under the combined effect of both air and gravity. In the absence of air, the body traces completely a parabolic path. In this case, the projectile is moving with constant horizontal velocity while vertical velocity is changing due to the gravity. With air, the trace of the projectile is not parabolic. The vertical, as well as horizontal velocities, are affected by the air. This article shows the path of the projectile in both cases by using the Mathematica tool. Mathematica is a modern technical computing tool used for various computing as well as the simulation process. The traces are obtained at various initial velocities by keeping some other parameters constant. Results show that the projectile describes more range without air than with air as expected theoretically.
- Young Huge D., Freedman Roger A. and Ford A.L. (2012)., University physics with modern physics (13th ed.)., United States of America: Addison-Wesley, 77-80. ISBN: 13: 978-0-321-69686-1
- Gregson M. and Losli M. (2019)., The Effect of Air Friction on a Projectile., http://tuhsphysics.ttsd.k12.or.us/Research/IB08/LoslGreg/ResearchPaper.htm(Accessed 2019-05-29).
- Patterson C. (2019)., Projectile motion under the action of air resistance., https://www.tcd.ie/Physics/people/Charles. Patterson/teaching/PY2050_CP/New_Scripts/Projectile_Motion.pdf. (Accessed 2019-06-09).
- Dhanemozhi A. (2015)., Projectile motion using MATLAB., International Journal of Science, Technology & Management, 04(01), 1103-1107. Retrieved from http://www.ijstm.com/images/short_pdf/1427095388_1254.pdf(Accessed 2019-04-27).
- Fitzpatric R. (2011)., Projectile motion with air resistance., http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/ Newtonhtml/node29.html(Accessed 2019-06-09).
- Ling Samuel J., Sanny Jeff. and Moebs William (2016)., Taiwan MOOC OERs., University physics. Rice University, 302-306. ISBN: 13:978-1-947172-20-4.
- Drag Coefficient (2004)., The drag coefficient of an object in a moving fluid influence drag force, Retrieved from https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/drag-coefficient-d_627.html (Accessed 2019-05-31).
- Gibbs K. (2019)., Projectiles and air resistance., http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/Mechanics/ Kinematics/text/Projectiles_and_air_resistance/index.html(Accessed 2019-06-09).
- Projectile motion. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics/motion-in-a-plane/projectile-motion/(Accessed 2019-06-01)., undefined, undefined
- Zeleny E. (2009)., Projectile with air drag., http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ProjectileWithAirDrag/(Accessed 2019-04-25).
- What is Mathematica? (2019). Retrieved from http://www.calstatela.edu/its/services/software/mathematica.php (Accessed 2019-06-01), undefined, undefined
- Hutem A. and Kerdmee S. (2013)., Physics learning achievement study: Projectile, using Mathematica program of faculty of science and technology Phetchabun Rajabhat university students., European J of physics Education, 04(03), 1-12. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov /fulltext/EJ1052425.pdf (Accessed 2019-06-01).