Design and construction of a simple resistivity meter for resistivity measurement
- 1Department of Physics, Faculty of Physical Sciences, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Southern Nigeria
- 2Department of Physics, Faculty of Physical Sciences, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Southern Nigeria
- 3Department of Physics, Faculty of Physical Sciences, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Southern Nigeria
Res. J. Physical Sci., Volume 6, Issue (5), Pages 1-7, October,4 (2018)
A simple resistivity meter was designed and constructed using cheap and locally available electronic components which included two reversing switches (DPDT), 500W "modified" sine wave inverter, a bridge rectifier, 2.2μF capacitor and a 12V DC car battery used as the power source. The data/result obtained using the constructed resistivity meter was quite comparable with that of the IGIS Resistivity Meter (model SSR-MP-ATS) data. The apparent resistivity value using the Schlumberger array for a current electrode spread of 60m of the IGIS resistivity meter ranges from 301.38 - 1087.49Ωm while that of the simple resistivity meter ranges from 272.67 - 1045.12Ωm. However, the use of this meter is limited to shallow investigations with depth of penetration at less than 50m as the simple meter gives readings that are significantly different from that of the standard meter at deeper depth of penetration. Efforts are being made to improve on the performance of the simple resistivity meter.
- Reynold J.M. (1997)., An Introduction to Applied and environmental Geophysics., John Wiley and Sons Ltd, London, 1-800. ISBN: 0-471-96802-1.
- Herman R. (2001)., An introduction to electrical resistivity in geophysics., American Journal of Physics, 69(9), 943-952. Doi:10.1119/1.1378013.
- Igboama W.N. and Ugwu N.U. (2011)., Fabrication of resistivity meter and its evaluation., American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2(5), 713-717.
- Awotoye K.S. and Selemo A.O. (2006)., Design and construction of a resistivity meter for shallow investigation., Nigerian Journal of Physics, 18(2), 261-270.
- Stanley J.M. (1981)., How to build a Gold and Treasure detectors-earth resistivity meter., www.geotech1.com. 16/12/2017.
- Clark J.A. and Page R. (2011)., Inexpensive Geophysical Instruments supporting groundwater exploration in developing Nation., Journal of Water Resources and Petroleum, 3, 768-780.
- Telford W.M., Geldart L.P., Sheriff K.E. and Keys D.A. (1990)., Applied Geophysics., Cambridge, University Press, Cambridge. 2nd ed., 522-577. ISBN: 0-521-32693-1.
- Badmus B.S. and Kilasho A.O. (2013)., Fabrication of electrical resistivity equipmentand some model studies within the basement complex terrain of southern Nigeria., Research Journal of Physics, 7, 17-23.
- Reijers T.J.A. and Petters S.W. (1997)., Sequence stratigraphy based on microfacies analysis: Mfamosing limestone, Calabar flank, Nigeria., Geologie en Mijnbouw, 76(3), 197-215.
- George A.M. and Abong A.A. (2014)., DC Resistivity Investigation of Anisotropy and Lateral Effect using Azimuthal offset Wenner Array; a case study of the University of Calabar, Nigeria., Journal of environmental and Earth Science, 4(1), 53-60.