Computational study of nonlinear modulation of wave propagation in model media
- 1Department of Physics, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373, Makurdi, Nigeria
- 2Department of Physics, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373, Makurdi, Nigeria
- 3Department of Physics, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373, Makurdi, Nigeria
Res. J. Physical Sci., Volume 6, Issue (2), Pages 9-20, February,4 (2018)
In this paper, the computational study of nonlinear modulation of wave propagation in model media was carried out. The models studied are the Free Space Model (FSM), the Modified Rojas Model (MRM) and the Square Power Model (SPM). The change in the dielectric constant due to electromagnetic (EM) wave field that propagates through a medium is a typical non-linearity. The basic equations that govern the propagation of electromagnetic waves in nonlinear media were derived using Maxwell’s equations. We obtained the numerical solution of the equations for different models of wave-media properties using fourth order Runge-Kutta scheme implemented in MATLAB software. The spatial EM wave profile graphic displays were supplemented by the symmetric spatial Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) analysis. The MRM model is essentially an EM wave attenuator. Complicated as the wave profile may look, the FFT showed attenuated wave of one wave number amidst background noise. However, at the fundamental frequencyf_0=47.7×&
- Mukamel S. (1995)., Principles of Nonlinear Optical Spectroscopy., New York: Oxford University Press, 205-208, ISBN: 978-73-54426-12-1
- McGilp J.F. (1996)., A review of optical second-harmonic and sum-frequency generation at surfaces and interfaces., Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 29(7), 1812.
- Mecozzi A. and Matera F. (2012)., Polarization Scattering by Intra-channel Collisions., Optical express, 20(2), 1213-1218.
- Chung S.J., Kim K.S., Lin T.C., He G.S., Swiatkiewicz J. and Prosad P.N. (1999)., Weakly Guiding Fibers., Journal of Physical Chemistry, 103(14), 10741-10743.
- Bhawalkar J.D., Kumar N.D., Zhao C.F. and Prasad P.N. (1997)., The Elements of Nonlinear Optics., Journal of Clinical and Medical Surgery, 37(6), 510-520.
- Slusher R.E. (2003)., Nonlinear Photonic Crystals., In: Kimberg V. (2006). Pulse Propagation in Nonlinear Media and Photonic Crystals. Journal of Optical Society of America B, 25(26), 32215-33697.
- Kimberg V. (2006)., Pulse Propagation in Nonlinear Media and Photonic Crystals., Journal of Optical physics, 39(4), 1-17.
- Mahalati R.N., Gu R.Y. and Kahn J.M. (2013)., Resolution limits for imaging through multi-mode fiber., Optical Express, 21(2), 1656-1568.
- Shaltiel V. and Kivshar Y.S. (2000)., Nonlinear Propagation of Strong Multi-mode Fields., Optical Review Letters, 25(2), 1204-1205.
- Mingaleev S.F. and Kivshar Y.S. (2002)., Self-sustained Pulsation of Amplified Spontaneous Emission of Molecules in Solution., Journal of Optical Society of America, 19(2), 2241-2247.
- Soljacic M., Ibanescu M., Johnson S.G., Fink Y. and Joannopoulos J.D. (2002)., Phase-sensitive Wave-packet Dynamics Caused by a Breakdown of the Rotating-wave Approximation., Physical Review Letters, 66(23), 55601-66102.
- Katoh J.K. and Omura P.H. (2006)., Simulation Study on Non-linear Frequency Shift of Narrow Band Whistler-Mode Wave in a Homogenous Magnetic Feld., Physics Review Letters, 11(2), 200-204.
- Schneider J. (2015)., Plane waves in FDTD Simulations and Nearly Perfect Total-Field/Scattered-Field Boundary., Washington State University, 220-400, ISBN: 978-05-56936-3-1
- Alvaro F. (2012)., Nonlinear Pulse Propagation in Optical Fiber., Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 1-201, ISBN: 978-95-53936-5-1
- Hansson T., Wallin E., Brodin G. and Marklund M. (2013)., Scalar Wigner theory for polarized light in nonlinear Kerr media., JOSA B, 30(6), 1765-1769.
- David S. (1992)., Finite Difference Methods for Advection in Variable Velocity Fields., The University Adelaide Department of Applied Mathematics, 630-660, ISBN: 978-0-538-73451-9.