Liquid crystalline materials with lateral polar chloro substituent
- 1Applied Chemistry Dept., Faculty of Technology and Engineering, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 1-7, November,16 (2017)
Twelve novel liquid crystalline materials of the homologous series 4-(4’-n-alkoxy benzoyloxy)-3-chloro benzoic acid have been synthesized. All members of the series exhibit mesomorphism. The smectic mesophase is exhibited by the very first member along with nematic phase which persists up to n-dodecyl homologue. The last two members exhibit only smectic phases. The prepared materials are characterized by elemental analysis and spectroscopically. Mesomorphism has been studied by polarizing microscopy and differential scanning calorimetry. Mesogenic behaviour of series is discussed by taking into consideration other structurally similar materials to signify the influence of lateral substituent.
- Chandrasekhar S. (1992)., Liquid Crystals., 2nd Ed., Cambridge University Press,New York, 1-3. ISBN:0-521-41747-3 (HB), ISBN: 0-521-42741-X (PB).
- De Gennes P.G. and Prost J. (1993)., The Physics of Liquid Crystals., Oxford Science Publications, Oxford, 1-10. ISBN: 0-19-851785-8.
- Reinitzer F. (1888)., Beitragezur Kenntniss des Cholesterins., Monatsh Chem., 9, 421-441.
- Kitzerow H.S. (2006)., Blue phases at work!., Chem. Phys. Chem., 7, 63-66.
- Crooker P.P. (1983)., The Cholesteric Blue Phase: A progress report., Mol Cryst Liq Cryst., 98, 31-45.
- Goodby J.W., Mandle R.J., Davis E.J., Zhong T. and Cowling S.J. (2015)., What makes a liquid crystal? The effect of free volume on soft matter., Liq Cryst., 42, 593-622.
- Hird M., Toyne K.J. and Gray G.W. (1993)., Palladium-catalysed cross-coupling reactions in the synthesis of some high polarizability materials., Liq. Cryst., 14(3), 741-761.
- Hird M., Toyne K.J., Gray G.W., Day S.E. and McDonnell D.G. (1993)., The synthesis and high optical birefringence of nematogens incorporating 2, 6-disubstituted naphthalenes and terminal cyano-substituent., Liq.Cryst., 15(2), 123-150.
- Prajapati A.K. and Pandya H.M. (2003)., Effectof a lateral chloro group on azomesogens containing the naphthalene moiety., Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 393, 31-39.
- Al-Hamdani U.J., Gassim T.E. and Radhy H.H. (2010)., Synthesis and characterization of azo compounds and study of the effect of substituents on their liquid crystalline behaviour., Molecules, 15, 5620-5628.
- Giss P., Cluzeau P., Ravaine V. and Nguyen H.T. (2002)., Characterization of a new chiral antiferroelectric liquid crystal with a lateral bromo substituent., Liq. Cryst., 29(1), 91-98.
- Dixit S. and Vora R.A. (2014)., Novel azoester compounds with lateral methyl substituent., Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 592, 133-140.
- Dave J.S. and Bhatt H. (2012)., Synthesis of liquid crystals with lateral methyl group and study of their mesomorphic properties., Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 562, 1-9.
- Thaker B.T., Kanojia J.B. and Tandel R.S. (2010)., Effects of different terminal substituents on the mesomorphic behavior of some azo-schiff base and azo-ester-based liquid crystals., Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 528, 120-137.
- Dixit S. and Intwala K. (2016)., Study of novel thermotropic liquid crystals with lateral nitro substituent., Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 631, 1-8.
- Dixit S. (2014)., Novel thermotropic liquid crystals with lateral aryl substituent., Res. Jr. of Chem. Sci., 4(10), 1-6.
- Dave J.S. and Vora R.A. (1970)., Mesomorphic behaviour of the cholesteryl esters-I: Pn-alkoxybenzoates of cholesterol., Liquid Crystals and Ordered Fluids, 477.
- Gray G.W. and Jones B.J. (1954)., Mesomorphism and chemical constitution Part III. The effect of halogen substitutionon mesomorphism of the 4-alkoxybenzoic acids., J. Chem. Soc., 2556-2562.
- Rajput S. (1987)., Exploration of utility possibility of some binary systems and homologous series of mesogens (Unpublished doctoral work)., The M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat, India.
- Mashru U. (1979)., Liquid crystal study of mesomorphic state., (Unpublished Doctoral work) , The M. University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat, India.
- Gray G.W. (1962)., Molecular Structure and Properties of Liquid Crystals., Academic Press, London and New York, 239.