Structure and optical characteristics of 200 keV Argon implanted High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- 1Department of Physics, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India and P.G. Department of Applied Physics, S.D. College, Ambala Cantt., India
- 2Department of Physics, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India
- 3Department of Physics, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 4, Issue (8), Pages 1-3, October,16 (2016)
Present study aims at studying the optical properties of High Density polyethylene (HDPE) specimens as a result of 200 keV Ar+ ion implantation. The samples were implanted in the fluence range from 1x1014 Ar+cm-2 to 1x1016 Ar+cm-2 using ambient pressure of ~10-6 Torr. Due to ion implantation, structural modification of target material has been recorded. These structural alterations lead to changes in its chemical, structural, optical and electrical properties. UV-Visible and FTIR-ATR spectroscopy were utilized to study the changes in optical and structural properties. Ar+ ion implantation resulted in a decrease in the optical energy gap from a value of 2.42 eV for virgin specimen to a value of 0.69 eV at the highest ion fluence. A correlation between optical properties and structural modification of implanted HDPE has been discussed. These results were also supported by FTIR-ATR spectroscopy.
- Shekhawat N., Aggarwal S., Sharma A., Sharma S.K., Deshpande S.K. and Nair K.G.M. (2011)., Surface disordering and its correlations with properties in argon implanted CR-39 polymer., J. Appl. Phys, 109, 083513.
- Pavia D.L., Lampman G.M., Kriz G.S. and Vyvyan J.R. (2007)., Spectroscopy., Cengage Learning India Private Limited, New Delhi.
- Fink D. (2004)., Fundamentals of Ion-Irradiated Polymers., Berlin, Hedelberg: Springer-Verlag Publishers.
- Ziegler J.F., Biersack J.P. and Littmark U. (1985)., The Stopping power and Range of Ions in Solids., Pergamon Press, New York.
- Dong H. and Bell T. (1999)., State of the art overview: ion beam surface modification of polymers towards improving tribological properties., Surf Coat Technol, 111, 29-40.
- Gowariker V.R., Viswanathan N.V. and Sreedhar J. (2003)., Polymer Science., New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, New Delhi.
- Bahadur P. and Sastry N.V. (2002)., Principles of Polymer Science., Narosa publishing House.
- Shekhawat N., Aggarwal S., Sharma A. and Nair K.G.M. (2015)., Surface hardening in N+ implanted polycarbonate., J. Mater. Sci., 50, 8.
- Mayo D.W., Miller F.A. and Hannah R.W. (2003)., Course Notes on Interpretation of Infrared and Raman Spectra., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.