Eco-Introducing audio visual translation to the Sri Lankan University curriculum: a study based on subtitling the Japanese film 100 Yen Love in to Sinhala Language
- 1Department of Languages, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Belihuloya, Sri Lanka
Res. J. Language and Literature Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 27-31, September,19 (2019)
Records indicate that a cartoon named “Little Claus and Big Claus” which was telecasted on the 15th of February 1985 was the first Sinhala dubbed televisionprogram in Sri Lanka. Even though it is almost thirty years passed since 1985, it is visible that the Sri Lankan field of Dubbing Translation has not gained any consequential touch as an entity of academic research. We can witness that the translators involve as dubbing and subtitling script writers are mostly those who have qualified in only the language proficiency but not the skills needed for the script writing. “The Jewel in the Palace” (Korea), “Oshin”(Japan) and “Dong Yi” (Korea) are classic examples for recently telecasted Tele-dramas. This research is based on the subtitling script of the Japanese film “100 Yen Love” by Take Masaharu, which was translated in to Sinhala by the author of this research. It is a contrastive analysis of the original Japanese script, author’s translation and the final production. Translating cultural terms, word limit and number of linesin a single frame were challenges as the author lacks the skills and techniques of subtitling. Audio Visual Translation (AVT) is given less attention in Sri Lanka, when compared to the other forms of literary translations. Many of the translators have not completely realized the complexity of composing a subtitling script or a dubbing script, which seeks an economical use of words and phrases. Translators who are involved in Dubbing Translation require special skills and techniques other than the literarytranslators who work on printed forms of literature. As some universities in Sri Lanka offer Translation Studies as a subject, the author recommends increasing the weightage of credits for Audio Visual Translation as a specialized course unit under the Translation Studies for those who are willing to be the translators in dubbing and subtitling fields.
- Thotawaththa T. (1985)., “Loku Baas Podi Baas”., Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.
- Ransirilal A. (2017)., Handa keweem Kalawa (The Art of Dubbing)., Colombo: Sadeepa Publishers. 18-50. ISBN 9789556619201.
- Ransirilal A. (2016)., The Current Situation of Sri Lankan TV Media and the Challenges Ahead., Tokyo: 24th JAMCO Online International Symposium, Japan Media Communication Center.
- Thotawaththa T. (1990)., Malgudi Dawasa Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Thotawaththa T. (1989)., Situwara Montha Cristo Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Thotawaththa T. (1989)., Manuthapaya Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Thotawaththa T. (1986)., Dosthara Hondahitha Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Thotawaththa T. (1993)., Oshin Colombo: Dubbing Unit., Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.
- Thotawaththa T. (1998)., Pan Pasinduwan., Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.
- Thotawaththa T. (1997)., Walas Maama Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Ransirilal A. (2012)., Sujatha Dhiyani Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Jinasena S. (2014)., How the Korean Soap Opera Influence Sri lankan’s Life., International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences, 2(5), 85-90.
- Ransirilal A. (2013)., Abheetha Dhiyaniya Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.,
- Karunarathna J.B. (2015)., Translating the Untranslatable: An Analysis on Translating Culture Specific References in Translating a Script for Dubbing Purpose., International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 2(2), University of Sri Jayawardenapura.
- Gamage K.N. (2013)., New Trends in Audio Visual Translation: The Latest Challenging Modes., Journal of the Faculty of Humanities, 18, 24-33.
- Ransirilal A. (2018)., Personal Communication., Colombo: Sri Lanka Media Training Institute.
- Report (2018)., Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities., Student Hand Book (2017/2018)
- Report (2019) University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, Faculty of Humanities, Student Hand Book.https://hu.kln.ac.lk/images/2019/pdf/Course_Unit_Book-_2017-2018.pdf(Accessed, 10.04.2019), undefined, undefined
- Ransirilal A. (2018)., Personal Communication, Colombo: Sri Lanka Media Training Institute.,
- Daily News (2018)., “Excel in Dubbing”., (Accessed, 12.11.2018) http://www.dailynews.lk/2018/01/02/features/138647/excel-dubbing
- Medhananda R. (2013)., Dumbara Pathan Gini: Sena Thoradeniya Nirmana ha Vichara Vivarana., (A Critical Evaluation on Sena Thoradeniya’s Translations). Colombo: Fast Printery Pvt Limited. 442-455ISBN. 9789556772937.
- Weththasinghe S. (1998)., Nawa Sahithya Sanwaada” (Discussions on Contemporary Literature)., Colombo: Godage Publishers. 66-79. ISBN9552033136.
- Senevirathna A.M.C. (2011)., Difficulties encountered by a Translator Engaged in a Process of Dubbing., Unpublished Thesis for Master of Philosophy in Linguistics, submitted to University of Kelaniya.
- Karamitroglou F. (1998)., A proposed set of subtitling standards in Europe., Translation journal, 2(2), 1-15.
- Thawabteh M.A. (2017)., Subtitling on the Intersection of Theory and Practice: Pedagogical Research-Based Approach for Subtitler Training., Arab World English Journal for Translation and Literacy Studies, 1(1), 32-47.
- Maslahah F.A. (2013)., A Subtitling Analysis on Maxim Flouts in A Cinderella Story and The Perfect Man Movies from English in to Indonesian., Unpublished Thesis Master of Education in English, submitted to Muhammadiah University of Surakarta.
- Mohotti J.E. (2018)., Yen Siiye Aadaraya Sinhala Subtitled Script of the Japanese Film “100 Yen Love”., Colombo: Dubbing Unit, Sri Lanka Rupavahini Cooperation.