Growth and development of Indo-Islamic architecture of India from early thirteenth century to A.D to fifteenth century A.D under Delhi Sultans
- 1Counsellor IGNOU (History) at Govt. Degree College, Kulgam, India
- 2Govt. Degree College, Bijbehara, Anantinag, India
Res. J. Language and Literature Sci., Volume 6, Issue (2), Pages 12-15, May,19 (2019)
With the establishment of the Delhi Sultanate in A.D 1206 a new phase ushered in the cultural development of India. The Turks who came to India towards the beginning of 13th C.A.D., had not only a well-defined faith in Islam to which they were deeply attached, they also had definite ideas of Government, Arts, and Architecture etc. The Hindus had also developed their own style, although their concepts and designs differed from those of the Muslims. A synthesis of these two types, however, was soon evolved due to a number of factors. The Muslims after firmly establishing themselves in India employed Hindu master craftsman for designing and constructing their buildings. These craftsmen naturally introduced the characteristics of Hindu architecture like solidity and grace, while adopting Muslim features like arches, domes, minarets, geometrical designs etc.
- Mehta J.L. (1986)., Advanced Study In The History Of Medieval India., III, Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, India, 313-314 ISBN: 9788120704329.
- Chopra B.N., Puri B.N., and Das M.N. (1990)., A Socio Cultural and Economic History of India., II, Macmillan India Limited, Madras, India, 212.
- AgnihotriV.K. (2014)., Indian History and Culture., Allied Publishers Pvt.Ltd, New-Delhi, India. B-182 ISBN: 9788184249231
- Reddy K. Krishna (2008)., Indian History., Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Limited., New Delhi, India, B-136 ISBN: ISBN: 9780071329231,
- Majumadar R.C., Ray H.C. and Chaudhary Kalikinkar Datta (2000)., An Advanced History of India., Macmillan India Limited, Madras, India, 4th Edn. 407 ISBN: 9780333902981
- Brown Percy (2014)., Indian Architecture (Islamic period), CBSPD, 349. ISBN: 9788123924564,
- Commaraswamy Ananda K. (2008)., Introduction to Indian Art Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Pvt Ltd, New-Delhi, India., 90-91. ISBN: ISBN: 9788121503891
- Fergusson James (2018)., History of Indian and Eastern Architecture., Franklin Classics, London, U.K, 1910, 325. 9781149400364
- Batley C. (1943)., Design Development of Indian Architecture., Oxford University Press, London U.K., 241-243.
- Mehta J.L. (1986)., Advanced study in the history of medieval india., Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, India, 315. ISBN: 9788120704329.
- Ojha N.N. (2018)., Indian History: IAS Mains Q&A., Chronicle Publications Pvt. Ltd, Noida U.P, India, 160. ISBN: 9789386030535,
- Chandra Satish (2015)., Medieval India: From Sultanate To The Mughals- Delhi Sultanate (1206-1526), Part-I., Har Anand Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India, Reprinted, 234-235. ISBN: 9788124112670
- Agnihotri V.K. (2014)., Indian History And Culture., Allied Publishers Pvt.Ltd., New Delhi, India, 184. ISBN: 9788184249231
- Mahajan V.D. Revised by Dr. Mahesh Bhatnagar (2011)., Medieval India., S. Chand & Co, New-Delhi, India, 479. ISBN: 9788121903646
- Banerjee J.B. (1967)., History of Firuz Tughlaq., Strerling Publishers Pvt.Ltd, New Delhi, India, 149.
- Chandra Satish (2008)., Medieval India: From Sultanate To The Mughals Delhi Sultanate (1206-1526)., Part-I, Har Aanand Publishers Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, India, Reprinted, 232. ISBN: 9788124112670
- Brown Percy (2014)., Indian Architecture (Islamic period)., CBSPD, 350. ISBN: 9788123924564
- Pandey A.B. (1993)., Early Medieval India., Central Book Depot Allahabad, U.P. India, 231-232.
- Chopra B.N., Puri B.N. and Das M.N. (1990)., A Socio Cultural And Economic History Of India., Macmillan India Limited; Madras, India, 2, 213-214.