The congruence effect of leadership and governance at the grassroots, a Nigerian perspective
- 1Department of Public Administration, Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo, Ondo State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Public Administration, Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo, Ondo State, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 9, Issue (4), Pages 39-44, October,14 (2020)
The effective administration of any society depends largely on the capacity of the leader. Every society must as a matter of fact have a leader either elected or appointed to pilot its affairs. In Nigeria, the grassroots is important as significant percentage of population still reside in local areas. This level is regarded as the closest government to the people, which also understand their peculiar needs and problems. It is therefore expected that leadership at this level should provide good governance to improve living standard of the local people. However, leadership performance in the rural areas has fallen short of expectation, thereby making good governance a tall dream. Based on this, the paper examined the leadership crisis and the crisis of governance at the grassroots with focus on the congruence effect of the former on the latter. The paper relied on content analysis method for its data. It was noted in the paper that poor leadership at the grassroots was responsible for governance crisis. The paper concluded that availability of good and transformational leaders at the grassroots will assist in entrenching good governance at the local government level.
- Adamolekun, L. (2002)., Governance Context and Reorientation of Government., In Adamolekun, L. (Ed.), Public Administration in Africa, Main Issues and Selected Country Studies. Ibadan: Spectrum Books Limited.
- Agagu, A.A. (2010)., Theory and Practice of Public Administration., Ado Ekiti. Department of Political Science, University of Ado-Ekiti.
- Akinrilola, I. (2018)., Ondo Local Government Caretaker Committee Dissolves., Idanre Hill Media Station, April 4, 2018.
- Anam-Ndu, E. A. (2006)., The Leadership Question in Nigeria: A Presciptive Exploration., Geo-Ken Associates.
- Appadorai, A. (1975)., The Substance of Politics., New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Bamigboye, I.O. (2000)., Organizational Behavior., Lagos: Selak Educational Publishers.
- Banfield, E.C. (1967)., The Moral Basis of a Backward Society., Glencoe, Illinois: The Free Press.
- Davis, J.S. (2011)., Challenging Governance Theory: From Network to Hegemony., New York: Policy Press.
- Ferragina, E. (2009)., The Never-Ending Debate About the Moral Basis of a Backward Society: Banfield and Amoral Familism., Journal of Anthropological Society of Oxford, 1(2), 141-160.
- Lawal, T. & Owolabi, D. (2012)., Leadership Debade: the Bane of Good Governance in Nigeria., Afro Asian Journal of Social Sciences, 10, 271-299.
- Ngethe, A.F. & Owiti, J. (2002). Determination of Civic Leadership in Africa: An Exploration Study of NGDOS in Kenya. Paper Presented at the 5th Conference of the International Society for Third Sector Research in Cape Town. Septmber, 7-10, 2002., undefined, undefined
- Ogundiya, I.S. (2010)., Religions Ideals and Responsible Leadership: the Shepherd Model and Lesson for Nigerias Fledging Democracy., Current Research Journal of Social Science, 2(4), 242-248.
- Oke, L. (2001)., Local Government System in Nigeria in F. Omotoso., (Ed.), Contemporary Issues in Public Administration. Ibadan: Johnmof Printers Limited.
- Omilusi, M. (2013)., Democratic Governance in Nigeria, Key Issues and Challenges., Akure. Adex Printing Press.
- Omolayo, B. (2006)., Leadership and Citizenship Development in Nigeria., In A.A. Agagu & F. Omotoso (Eds.), Citizenship Education & Governmental Process. Ado-Ekiti: Julius and Julius Publishers.
- Onighinde, A. (2007)., Governance and Leadership in Nigeria., Ibadan: Hope Publications Ltd.
- Onyekachi, J. (2016)., Structural Defect in Local Government Re-Organisation in Ebonyi State Nigeria: Implications on Grassroot Democratic Development., Review of Public Administration and Management, 4(2), 188-196.
- Rahman, M. (2005)., Visionary Leadership with Bold Initiative for National Development Bangladsh Position in Asia., African Affairs January-March.
- Sapru, R.K. (2013)., Administrative Theories and Management Thought., Dehli: PHI Leaving Private Limited.
- Sharma, M.P., Sadana, B.L. & Harpreet, K. (2011)., Public Administration in Theory and Practice New Dehli: Kitab Mahal Agencies.,
- Ukaegbu, C. (2010)., Nigeria Beyond Good Governance at 50., Retrieved from http//:www.allafrica.com/stories/ 20100628063.html. Consulted on January 5, 2012.
- World Bank and International Monetary Fund (Development Committee) (2006)., Strengthening Bank Group Engagement on Governance and Anti Corruption, 8 September.,