On spatial inequalities: theories to account for as witnessed in metropolitan extensions of Pune and Mumbai, India
- 1Symbiosis School for Liberal Arts, Pune, MS, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 24-29, January,14 (2020)
Urbanisation and its consequent processes have been a significant part of sociological studies since the advent of the industrial revolution. Contemporary urbanisation is characterized by the mushrooming of extensions on the outskirts of the main metropolitan areas that see within them the proliferation of service industries, which ultimately drive growth for the region and state. This paper, by examining the property prices of such regions, seeks to draw trends of urban sociology as seen globally and apply them to areas of Pimpri Chinchwad and Navi Mumbai in Maharashtra. It relies on data obtained from available indices and theories by academics of the field.
- Manuel Castells (1979)., The Urban Question., 2nd ed. London: E. Arnold.
- Owens B. (2012)., Mapping the City: Innovation and Continuity in the Chicago School of Sociology, 1920–1934., The American Sociologist, 43(3), 264-293. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23319612
- Eade J., Mele C. and Bunting T. (2003)., Reviews-Understanding the City: Contemporary and Future Perspectives., Canadian Geographer, 47(4), 509. DOI: 10.1080/0965431032000149968
- King A.D. (1996)., Introduction: cities, texts and paradigms., In A. D. King (ed.), Re-presenting the City: Ethnicity, Capital and Culture in the Twenty-first-century Metropolis. Basingstoke and London: Macmillan, 1–2.
- Dear M. (2000)., The Postmodern Urban Condition., Oxford and Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Miller D.W. (2000)., The New Urban Studies., Chronicle of Higher Education, 46(50), A15-A15.
- Gottdiener M. (1994)., The Social Production of Urban Space., 2nd ed. Austin, TX: Universityof Texas Press.
- Kling R., Olin S. and Poster M. (1991)., Postsuburban California: The Transformation of Orange County Since WWII., Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Harvey D. (1989)., From managerialism to entrepreneurialism: the transformation in urban governance in late capitalism., Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography, 71(1), 3-17.
- Wu C. (2015)., Moving from Urban Sociology to the Sociology of the City., The American Sociologist, 47(1), 102-114. doi: 10.1007/s12108-015-9277-6
- May T., Perry B., Le Galès P., Sassen S. and Savage M. (2005)., The Future of Urban Sociology., Sociology, 39(2), 343-370. doi: 10.1177/0038038505050544
- Holton R. (1984)., Cities and the transitions to capitalism and socialism., International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 8(1), 13-37. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2427.1984.tb00411.x
- Report (2019)., Indian Macro Advisers. National Housing Bank obtained indice data., https://www.indiamacroadvisors.com/page/ category/economic-indicators/inflation-prices/house-price/ accessed on 27th February 2019
- Report (2019)., Housing price index of India as collated from RBI housing data Residex online indice database., https://residex.nhbonline.org.in/About-Residex.aspx
- Lavina Mulchandani (2019)., Gaining the edge: Why smaller cities in Maharashtra are drawing investors., https://www.hindustantimes.com/real-estate/gaining-the-edge-why-smaller-cities-in-maharashtra-are-drawing-investors/story-RPTTryjrrKrSkMfJumwevM.html accessed on 27th February 2019
- Kailash Babar (2019)., Nearly 54% of Mumbai metropolitan housing supply below Rs 80 lakh; Report., https://realty.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/residential/nearly-54-of-mumbai-metropolitan-housing-supply-below-rs-80-lakh-report/66631046 accessed on 27th February 2019
- Sassen Saskia (2001)., The global city: New York, London, Tokyo., Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
- Ramnath Subbu (2019)., Pune shifts to top gear as automobile hub., https://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/Pune-shifts-to-top-gear-as-automobile-hub/article15911528.ece accessed on 27th February 2019
- Ong A. (2006)., Neoliberalism as exception: Mutations in citizenship and sovereignty., Duke University Press.
- Sandeep Ashar (2019)., Incentives for IT/ITeS: FSI hike, incentives to cover more beneficiaries., https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/incentives-for-itites-fsi-hike-incentives-to-cover-more-beneficiaries/ accessed on 27th February 2019.