Men who have sex with men: the naked truth among male university students
- 1Science Unit, Leyte Normal University, P. Paterno St. Tacloban City, Leyte Philippines
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 8, Issue (4), Pages 40-45, October,14 (2019)
There is an increasing human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in the Philippines and the predominant mode of transmission is through men having sex with men (MSM). This qualitative case study reports on the experience of eight male university students involved in MSM activity. Data obtained through focus group discussion helped understand the feelings, views, and factors that contributed to the involvement in MSM of the university students. Results revealed that curiosity, alcohol drinking, material rewards and sexual satisfaction were the reasons for engaging in MSM activity. This study provides some inputs that maybe useful in planning and implementing programs that can provide opportunity for the students to know where to seek guidance regarding this sensitive issue, thereby, encouraging them towards observing a more positive sexual health.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (2009)., UNAIDS Action framework: Universal access for men who have sex with men and transgender people., 2009. 09.22E – JC1720E http://data.unaids.org/pub/report/2009/ jc1720_action _framework_msm_en.pdf. 20/August/2017
- Hernandez L.I. and Imperial R.H. (2009)., Men-who-have-sex-with-other-males (MSM) in the Philippines – Identities, sexualities and social mobilities: A formative assessment of HIV and AIDS vulnerabilities., ActaMedicaPhilippina, 43(3), 26-36.
- Department of Health (DOH)., HIV/AIDS & ART Registry of the Philippines., June 2018. https://www.aidsdatahub.org/hivaids-and-art-registry-philippines-june-2018epidemiology-bureau-department-health-2018. 29/August/ 2018.
- Burki T. (2017)., HIV in the Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte′s war on drugs could bolster the burgeoning HIV epidemic., Newsdesk, 16, 589-590.www.thelancet.com/infection
- Foreman M. Men, sex and HIV. (1990)., In: Foreman M, editor. AIDS and Men: Taking risks or taking responsibility., The Panos Institute & Zed Books Limited, London.
- World Health Organization (2015)., A technical brief. HIVand young men who have sex with men., WHO Document Production Services, Geneva, Switzerland. 2015. http://www.unaids.org /sites/ default / files/ media_asset/2015_young_men_sex_with_men_en.pdf. 20/August/2017.
- Department of Health (2018)., HIV/AIDS Cases in Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)., February 2018. Epidemiology Bureau.DOH-VIII.29/August/20i8
- Ogena N.B. and Kabamalan M.M. (2014)., RegionVIII youth today:Risk behavior of young poeople in Eastern Visayas., https://www.drdf.org.ph/sites/ default/files/y4presentations/POPCOM%20Region%20VIII% 20Aug%2022 %20Summary.pdf. 9/August/2017
- Matillano B.J. (2013)., Sexual networking, sexual Practices and Level of awareness among MSM on HIV/ AIDS., Inter. J. of Sci. and Res., 2(8), 428-420.
- Vance C.S. (1999)., Anthropology Rediscovers Sexuality: A Theoretical Comment., In: Parker, Richard and Peter Aggleton, eds. Culture, Society and Sexuality. UCL Press, London.
- Creswell J. (2017)., Qualitative Inquiry Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches., 2, 40-41. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage; 2013, http://community.csusm.eddu/ pluginfile.php 9/June/2017
- Stake R. (1995)., The art of case study research., Sage, Inc., Thousands Oaks, CA.
- Yin R. (2009)., Case study research: Design and methods., 4, 2-4. Sage, Inc., Thousands Oaks, CA:, https://books.google.com. 9/June/2017
- Wa-Mbaleka S.W. and Gladstone R.K. (2018)., Sampling Strategies in Qualitative Research., Qualitative research for senior high school. OikosBiblios Publishing House, Cavite, 65.
- Wong L.P. (2008)., Focus group discussion: a tool for health and medical research., Singapore Med. J., 49(3), 256-260. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18363011.
- Yazan B. (2015)., Three approaches to case study methods in education: Yin, Merriam, and Stake., The qualitative report, 20(2), 134-152. http://nsu works.nova. edu/tqr/ vol20/iss2/12
- Ajjawi R. and Higgs J. (2007)., Using hermeneutic phenomenology to investigate how experienced practitioners lear n to communicate clinical reasoning., The qualitative report, 12(4), 612-638.
- Birt L., Scott S., Cavers D., Campbell C. and Walter F. (2016)., Member checking. A tool to enhance trustworthiness or merely a nod to validation?,, Qualitative Health Research.26 (13):1802-1181. Available from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/27340178
- Italia W.F. and Oducado M.F. (2014)., Men who have sex with men (MSM) in Iloilo City, Philippines: Profile, sexual history, level of knowledge about HIV/AIDS and sexual risk taking behavior., Asia Pacific J. of Multidisciplinary Res, 2(6), 125-132.
- Hernandez L.I. (2004)., Sexualities, Identities and Bodies: Reducing the Vulnerability of HIV/AIDS Among Male Sex Workers in the Philippines., Review of Women
- Aggleton P., Hilary H., Jan M., Stuart W. and Simon W. (1989)., AIDS: Scientific and Social issues: A Resource for Health Educators., Churchill Livingstone, London.