Fiscal crisis in Kerala, India: An interrogation on state finances
- 1Department of Economics, Dr. John Matthai Centre, University of Calicut, Thrissur, Kerala, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (6), Pages 11-20, June,14 (2018)
The size and pattern of public finances of a state has great relevance in the economic and social development of that state. At the same time, it has important implications on human development and long term perspectives of an economy. So, an analysis on Kerala in the context of globalisation pressures, growing expenditure, declining revenue and political uncertainty arising out of anti incumbency trends is very relevant. Because, the state has been confronting deteriorating fiscal condition especially after the 80’s, which is one of the serious issues that could impede the sustainable growth potential. In the context this paper reexamines the trends in state finances of Kerala, which can bring further understandings on state finances.
- George K.K. and Krishnakumar K.K. (2003)., Fiscal Management in Kerala: Constraints and Policy Options., Working Paper No. 9, CSES. Kochi.
- RBI, State finance: A study of budgets, Various issues (1980-2016). Compendium of Articles, Reserve Bank of India., undefined, undefined
- George K.K. and Krishnakumar K.K. (2012)., Trends in Kerala State Finances-1991-92 to 2012-13: A Study in the Backdrop of Economic Reforms in India., Centre for Socio-Economic & Environmental Studies.
- Reserve Bank of India (2004, 2010)., Hand book on State finances.,
- Government of Kerala, Budget in Brief, various years (1980-2016). Thiruvananthapuram, Finance Department., undefined, undefined
- Rekhe P.B. (2003)., Estimation of tax leakages and its impact on fiscal health in Kerala., Working paper No. 347, CDS, Tiruvananthapuram.
- Ghosh S. and Gregoriou A. (2008)., The composition of government spending and growth: is current or capital spending better?., Oxford Economic Papers, 60(3), 484-516.
- Devarajan S., Swaroop V. and Zou H.F. (1996)., The composition of public expenditure and economic growth., Journal of monetary economics, 37(2), 313-344.
- Alesina Alberto and Allan Drazen (1991)., Why are Stabilizations Delayed?., American Economic Review, 81, 1170-1188.
- Sugata Marjit (2010)., Distributive politics, public expenditure and economic growth: experience from the Indian states.,