A comparison of yield of paddy cultivation under owner-cultivated land and leased-in land in Batticaloa District, Sri Lanka
- 1Department of Economics, Faculty of Commerce and Management, Eastern University, Sri Lanka
- 2University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 13-20, May,14 (2018)
Batticaloa is one of the foremost paddy producing districts in Sri Lanka which occupies the 6th place in paddy production and contributes 4.9 percent to Gross Domestic production. In Batticaloa districts, farmers are engaged on both owner-cultivated land and tenant -cultivated land. When comparing owner-cultivated land and tenant -cultivated land, there are significant facilities which need to be considered as the availability to gain the assistance regarding paddy farming which are feasible to only who holds the land ownership. Therefore, the absence of ownership may become as barriers in accessing government assistance which could lead to the difference in obtaining yield. In this context, the study examined the difference of yield between tenant - cultivated land and owner- cultivated land and explored the factors which influence on technical efficiency. The study is established on primary data, which was gathered during the 2015/16 paddy Maha season by a structured questionnaire in Batticaloa district. Four hundred samples of farmers were selected on a combination of snow ball sampling and random sampling technique. The gathered data were analyzed by using stochastic frontier production function and Tobit model. The results reveal that, yield of paddy on tenant -cultivated land was not less, compare to owner- cultivated land as since there is a slight difference between tenant - cultivated land and owner- cultivated land in term of yield. It may be concluded that even if there is absence of ownership among tenant cultivated land, it does not lead to reduce more paddy yield it may attributed due to the provision of tenancy givers to tenancy takers.
- Sambamurty A.V.S.S. and Subrahmanyam N.S. (2000)., Ecology, , Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, ISBN: 8173192898
- Arash Zibaee (2013)., Rice: Important and Future., Omics Publishing Group, doi: 10.4172/jrr.1000e102
- Karunatilake H.N.S. (1987)., The Economy of Sri Lanka., Sridevi Publications, Sri Lanka
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka (2015), Annual Report, Colombo: Central Bank of Sri Lanka., undefined, undefined
- District Secretariat (2015)., Statistical Handbook., Batticaloa: District Secretariat.
- Bhavan T. and Maheshwaranathan S. (2012)., Technical efficiency of paddy farmers in Batticaloa district of Sri Lanka., Sri Lanka Economic Research Conference, 121-125.
- Ubink J. and Quan J. (2008)., How to combine tradition and modernity? Regulating customary land management in Ghana., Based on Land Use Policy, 25(2), 198-213. doi: 10.1016/j.landuse.pol.2007.06.002
- Fujimoto A. (1996)., Rice land ownership and tenancy systems in Southeast Asia: Facts and issues based on ten village studies., The Developing Economies, 34(3), 281-315.
- Pender J. and Fafchamps M. (2002)., Land Lease Markets and Agricultural Efficiency: Theory and Evidence from Ethiopia., CSAEWPS-19, 1-51.
- Emmanuel D. and Victor O. (2014)., Effects of land tenure systems on resource-use productivity and efficiency in Ghana's rice industry., African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 9(4), 286-299.
- Koirala K.H., Mishra A.K. and Mohanty S. (2014)., Determinants of Rice Productivity and Technical Efficiency in the Philippines., Southern Agricultural Economics Association (SAEA) Annual Meeting, Dallas, 1st -4th Feb, 1-19.
- Rakhshanda K. and Awudu A. (2014)., Impact of non-farm work and land tenancy contracts on soil conservation measures., Annual Conference of the Agricultural Economics Society, Paris, France, 9th - 11th April. 1-20.
- Bardhan P. and Mookherjee D. (2007)., Land Reform and Farm Productivity in West Bengal., Stanford Center for International Development, 1-58.
- Alarima C.I., Fabusoro E., Kolawole A., Uzoma K.C., Aromolaran A.K., Masunaga T. and Wakatsuki T. (2012)., Land Rights and Rental Systems: Implications for Management of Conflicts Related to Land in Sawah based Rice Production Systems in Nigeria., African Study Monographs, 33(3), 189-208.
- Deininger K. and Feder G. (2014)., Land Institutions and Land Markets., Policy Research Working Paper, The World Bank, 1-44.
- Chandrasiri J.K.M.D. (2010)., Impact of Informal Land Transactions in Settlement Schemes in Sri Lanka., Hector Kobbekaduwa Agrarian Research and Training Institute, Research Report No., 132, 1-69.
- Lakshmi P.P.A., Sant K. and Aruna S. (2009)., Rice Production in India - Implications of Land Inequity and Market Imperfections., Agricultural Economics Research Review, 22, 431-442.
- Prakash S., Patil S., Konda C.R., Amrutha T.J. and Sidday S. (2013)., Input use and production pattern of paddy cultivation under leased in land in Tungabhadra project area Karnataka., Journal of Agricultural Scence, 26(2), 224-228.
- Ogundaria K. and Awokuse T. (2016)., Land Tenure and Technical Efficiency of Rice Farms in Thailand., Annual World Bank conference on land and poverty, 1-20.
- Udayanganie A.D.D., Prasada D.V.P., Kodithuwakku K.A. S.S., Weerahewa J. and Little D.C. (2006)., Efficiency of the agrochemical input usage in the paddy farming systems in the dry zone of Sri Lanka., In Prepared for The Annual Meeting of The Canadian Agricultural Economics Society, 25-28.
- Freese Jeremy and Scott L.J. (2006)., Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables Using Stata., College Station: Stata Press.
- Scott L.J. (1997)., Regression Models for Categorical and Limited Dependent Variables., Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.