Urban homelessness in India: a policy review
- 1B.A. Public Policy, FLAME University, Pune, India-411001, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (12), Pages 17-20, December,14 (2018)
Housing, as a fundamental right of all citizens, forms an integral part of urban planning in India. However, with rising capitalism, urban planning is highly influenced by neo-liberal macroeconomic policies, causing both spatial and social segregation. These policies have pushed up land values, pushing the poor to the peripheries for relocation. Moreover, the notion of ‘outsider’ associated with migrants often renders them homeless in urban spaces. Despite policies, urban homelessness is a grave problem even today. This is mainly because policies have failed to capture the scope of urban homelessness. In addition, the inclusion of private investors and contractors has worsened the situation. This secondary research has outlined various problems associated with urban homelessness, along with a review of the two most recent housing policies implemented in India.
- Hingorani P., Shridhar R. and Munshi M. (2017)., The rental housing approach for India., Retrieved from https://www.livemint.com/Opinion/sLampaUBh6RNjJIK55jB0O/The-rental-housing-approach-for-India.html.
- Mishra S. (2011)., Need Assessment of Homeless in Mumbai., Bombay Urban Industrial League for Development (BUILD).
- Krishna A., Sriram M.S. and Prakash P. (2014)., Slum types and adaptation strategies: identifying policy-relevant differences in Bangalore., Environment and Urbanization, 26(2), 568-585. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956247814537958.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation. (2007)., National Urban Housing and Habitat P Policy 2007., Retrieved from http://www.nhb.org.in/Urban_Housing/ HousingPolicy2007.pdf.
- Ladha S. (2016)., Short Note Analysis of Social Policy Document on the ‘National Urban Housing and Habitat Policy, 2007., International Journal of Socio-Legal Analysis and Rural Development, 2(1). Retrieved from http://ijsard.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/short-note-analysis-of-social-policy-document-on-the-national-urban-housing-and-habitat-policy-2007.pdf.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (2013)., Scheme of Shelters for Urban Homeless., Retrieved from https://nulm.gov.in/PDF/NULM_Mission/NULM-SUH-Guidelines.pdf.
- Chachra S. (2014)., National Report on the Shelters for Urban Homeless., Retrieved from http://www.ihrn.org.in/ files/editor/National%20Report%20on%20the%20Status%20of%20Shelters%20for%20Urban%20Homeless%20-% 202014.pdf.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (2018)., India: Psychosocial care for women in shelter homes - a dire need for trafficking survivors., Retrieved March 25, 2018, from https://www.unodc.org/southasia/en/frontpage/2012/January/psychosocial-care-for-women-in-shelter-homes.html.