U.S. policy on climate change under Trump: beyond populism and hysteria
- 1Department of Political Science, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India
- 2Department of Political Science, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 67-69, September,14 (2017)
The year 2017 saw the Unites States of America welcome its first climate sceptic President in the White house. The worst fears of many came true when President Trump withdrew from the Paris Climate Agreement in June 2017. Many fear that without United States the gains made on the front of climate change could soon unravel. The paper is an attempt to go beyond the hysteria and make an objective analysis of the centrality of U.S. leadership in combating the phenomenon. While also exploring alternate and less talked about dimensions of the U.S. Policy in which Paris deal might not lose as much as many fear and President Trump might not gain as much as he hopes to achieve.
- The World Bank group (2013)., CO2 emissions (metric tons per capita)., Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee, United States. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?end=2013&start=2013&view=bar. Retrieved on 29 November 2016.
- Landler Mark and Perlez Jane (2016)., Rare Harmony as China and U.S. Commit to Climate Deal., The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/world/asia/ obama-xi-jinping-china-climate-accord.html. Retrieved on 3 September 2016.
- Ferguson Niall (2007)., Dollar Diplomacy: How much did the Marshall Plan really matter?., The New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/08/27/dollar-diplomacy. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2007)
- ABC News (2015)., Paris climate deal: Highlights of the COP21 accord to limited global warming., http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-13/ highlights-from-historic-climate-deal/7024114. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2015)
- The World Bank Group (2016)., World Development Indicators database., http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?locations=US. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2016)
- The World Bank Group (2016)., World Development Indicators database., http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?locations=EU. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2016)
- Keep Matthew (2017)., The UK, http://researchbriefings. parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7886. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2017)
- Frankfurt School (2016)., Global trends in renewable energy investment 2016., http://fs-unep-centre.org/ sites/default/files/publications/globaltrendsinrenewableenergyinvestment2016lowres_0.pdf .Retrieved on 14 July 2017(2016)
- Mehta Vikram S. (2016)., Over the barrel: The life and death of the oil age., http://indianexpress.com/article/ opinion/columns/crude-oil-india-market-diesel-petrol-fuel-price-3062060. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2016)
- Ferroukhi Rabia, Khalid Arslan, Lopez-Pena Alv and Renner M. (2016)., Renewable Energy and Jobs - Annual Review 2016., International Renewable Energy Agency. http://www.irena.org/DocumentDownloads/Publications/IRENA_RE_Jobs_Annual_Review_2016.pdf. Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2016)
- CNN News (2016)., Presidential results., http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/president Retrieved on 14 July 2017 (2016).