Determinants of job performance and employee commitment: evidence from banking sector of Pakistan
- 1Department of Business Administration, University of Sargodha Gujranwala Campus, Pakistan
- 2Quaid-e-Azam School of Management Sciences, Quaid-e-Azam University Islamabad, Pakistan
- 3College of Business, School of Business Management, Universiti Utara Malaysia, Malaysia
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 12-16, September,14 (2017)
Emotional intelligence plays an important role to enhance the business performance and provide competitive advantage to understand the emotions and behavior of employees. The purpose of this current study is to examine the impact of emotional intelligence and motivation is effect on job performance and employees commitment. The nature of this study is descriptive and quantitative. Survey questionnaire method was used and data have been collected from 200 respondents by applying simple random sampling technique. After apply SPSS on required tests, findings revealed that emotional intelligence and motivation have positive and significant impact on job performance and employees commitment. At the end of this article achievement, suggestion and limitation have also been included for further researches.
- Greenberg J. and Baron R.A. (2000)., Behavior in organizations., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
- Seibert S.E., Kraimer M.L. and Liden R.C. (2001)., A social capital theory of career success., Academy of Management Journal, 44(2), 219-237.
- Bursalıoğlu Z. (2000)., New structure and behavior in education management., Ankara: Pegem Publications.
- Salovey P. and Mayer J.D. (1990)., Emotional intelligence., Imagination. Cognition and Personality, 9(3), 185-211.
- Mayer J.D., Salovey P. and Caruso D.R. (2004)., TARGET ARTICLES:\\\" Emotional Intelligence: Theory, Findings, and Implications\\\"., Psychological inquiry, 15(3), 197-215.
- Fisher C.D. (2002)., Antecedents and consequences of real-time affective reactions at work., Motivation and Emotion, 26(1), 3-30.
- Bycio P., Hackett R.D. and Allen J.S. (1995)., Further assessments of Bass., Career Development International, 9(4), 374‐390.
- Cote S. and Miners C.T. (2006)., Emotional intelligence, cognitive intelligence and job performance., Administrative Science Quarterly, 51(1), 1-28.
- Butler C.J. and Chinowsky P.S. (2006)., Emotional intelligence and leadership behavior in construction executives., Journal of Management in Engineering, 22(3), 119-125.
- Ashkanasy N.M. and Daus C.S. (2002)., Emotion in the workplace: The new challenge for managers., The Academy of Management Executive, 16(1), 76-86.
- Giles S.J.S. (2001)., The role of supervisory emotional intelligence in direct report organizational commitment., Unpublished master’s thesis. University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Poon J. M. (2004)., Career commitment and career success: moderating role of emotion perception., Prentice Hall Press, Restaurant Employees. Rosen College of hospital Management: University of Central Florida Orlando, Florida. 1-140.
- Chintaloo J. and Mahadeo D. (2013)., Effect of Motivation on Employees’ Work Performance at Ireland Blyth Limited., Proceedings of 8th Annual London Busin8ess Research Conference Imperial College, London, UK, 8-9.
- Johnson C. (2005)., Employee motivation: a comparison of tipped and non-tipped hourly restaurant employees., (Doctoral dissertation, University of Central Florida Orlando, Florida).
- Sarfraz M. and Nouman N. (2017)., Combined effects of Interpersonal Conflict and Emotional intelligence on Job Outcomes., Press International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies, 12(2), 512.
- Blanchard S. and Witts D. (2009)., Best practices in employee motivation., URL (last checked 29 December 2009). http://www.buzzle.com.
- Agarwal A. (2008)., Employee motivation., URL (last checked 25 November 2009). http://ezinearticles.com.
- Borman W.C. and Motowidlo S.J. (1997)., Organizational citizenship behavior and contextual performance., Human Performance, 10, 67-69.
- Babin B.J. and Boles J.S. (1998)., Employee behavior in a service environment: A model and test of potential differences between men and women., The Journal of Marketing, 62(2), 77-91.
- Hartline M.D. and Ferrell O.C. (1996)., The management of customer-contact service employees: an empirical investigation., The Journal of Marketing, 52-70.
- Netemeyer R.G., Boles J.S., McKee D.O. and McMurrian R. (1997)., An investigation into the antecedents of organizational citizenship behaviors in a personal selling context., The Journal of Marketing, 85-98.
- Weinbach G.C. (1998)., Can a time-varying Markov switching model better explain exchange rate movements., manuscript, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Washington DC.