A study of effectiveness of mass media practices of Hmar youth of Dima Hasao district of Assam, India
- 1Department of Mass Communication, Assam University, Silchar, Assam, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 1-8, August,14 (2017)
Mass media with its various types have the tremendous potential as the means of communication with the people, it is concerned with all the elements and include strong dimension of communication of message. The mass media either electronic or print media is very positively understood by the people of the society, old and young, literate and illiterate. It is easy for the people to grab the message when it is given to them not only by verbal but by view of its features like radio, television etc. The research paper is an attempt to find out the use and effects of mass media in this new media age among the Hmar youth of Harangajao with population of 160, Buolmol with population of 87 and Hmunthajao with population of 78 (Dima Hasao) from two rural areas and one urban area. The study is an attempt to know the differences of the youth in now days, why the people of urban areas are so advanced either technologically or psychologically and why the rural people still lack behind in every field or why the rural people still needs to go urban areas for their higher education and establishment. The paper also highlights the importance of mass media and its impact in a student life among the Hmar youth. This study is based on primary data with selected villages from Dima Hasao district. Primary data were collected by questionnaire, schedules and personal interview. Purposive sampling method was applied to collect data.
- Joshi Uma (1999)., Textbook of Mass communication and Media., Anmol Publications, New Delhi.
- Mass Media (2017)., What Is Mass Media? - Definition, Types, Influence & Examples., Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com ,accessed on 4th june 2017 -http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-mass-media-definition-types-influence-examples.html
- Aggarwal Vir Bala and Gupta V.S. (2001)., Handbook of Journalism and Mass Communication., Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi-11005(India) ISBN-81-7022-881-6.
- Balan K.R. and Rayadu C.S. (1994)., Effective Communication., Beacon Books, New Delhi.
- Schramm Wilbur (1964)., Mass media and national development: The role of information in the developing countries., Stanford University Press, 25. ISBN -8121206715.
- Dagron Gumucio Alfonso and Tufte Thomas (2006)., Communication for Social Change Anthology: Historical and Contemporary Readings., Communication for Social Change Consortium, Inc., 1st edition, ISBN-10: 0977035794.
- Reddy Narasimha C.V. (2014)., Effective Public Relation and Media Strategy., PHI-learning private limited New Delhi, ISBN -978-81-213-3646-9.
- Kumar Arvind (2002)., trends in modern journalism., Sarup & Sons Publication, ISBN 10: 8176252778
- Narayan Sachindra (2002)., The Dynamic Of Tribal Development: Issues and Challenges., Gyan Published House, ISBN-8121206715.
- Bandyopadhyay P.K. (2005)., The North East Saga., Publication Division, New Delhi.
- Kothari C.R. (2004)., Research Methodology, Methods and Techniques (Second Edition)., New Age International(P) Limited, Publishers, New Delhi.
- Bordoloi B.N. and Sharma Thakur G.C. (1988)., Tribes of Assam., Part-II, Directorate of Tribal Research Institute, Guwahati.
- Dena Lal (2008)., In search of identity Hmars of North East India., Akansha Publication house 4649-B/21, Ansari road, Darya Ganj, New delhi-110002(India) ISBN 978-81-8370-134-1.