A study of Alcoholism Himanchal Pradesh: 500 meters away from National Highway, India
- 1Consultant, National Institute of Social Defence, West Block-1, Wing -7, R.K Purum , New Delhi, India, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 17-20, October,14 (2017)
Alcoholism is one of the major causes which make vulnerable almost all section of the society especially, women and children. It led to many atrocities which further led to many other issues such as unemployment, domestic violence, poverty, suicide, road accidents, exploitation, sexual violence, psychological and emotional abuse etc. In India some culture has social sanction of alcohol drinking which make situation more miserable. Various studies revealed that the age of initiation of alcohol consumption has decrease and majority of children starts alcohol consumption around 10 year of age. Government and non-government organization has taken up various measure to prevent the alcohol drinking in different states of India. The closing of alcohol shops on the highway is one of them, this paper will try to examine the implications of closing of alcohol shops on highways in the district Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, India.
- WHO (2000)., International Guide for Monitoring Alcohol Consumption and Related Harm., Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence, WHO/MSD/MSB/00.4
- Mahal A. (2000)., What Works in Alcohol Policy? Evidence from Rural India., Economic and Political Weekly, 35(45), 3959-3968.
- Sulkunen P., Sutton C., Tigerstedt C. and Warpenius K. (2000)., Broken Spirits: Power and Ideas in Nordic Alcohol Control., NAD Publication No. 39. Helsinki: Nordic Council for Alcohol and Drug Research (NAD). ISBN 951–53–2450–5 ISSN 0359–7024.
- Dills A. and Miron J.A. (2001)., Alcohol Prohibition, Alcohol Consumption, and Cirrhosis., American Law and Economics Review, 6(2), 285-318. https://doi.org/10.1093/aler/ahh003.
- Girish N., Kavita R., Gururaj G. and Benegal Vivek (2010)., Alcohol Use and Implications for Public Health: Patterns of Use in Four Communities., 35(2), 238-244. DOI: 10.4103/0970-0218.66875.
- Hindustan Times (2016)., SC orders ban on sale of liquor at shops within 500 metres of highways., www.hindustantimes.com/...liquor-shops.../story-7z6sMkQukzBsfHC2uDLa5J.html
- QUARTZ (2016)., Tipsy today, sober tomorrow: India sways worse than a drunkard over prohibition., Article retrieved from, https://qz.com/660096/tipsy-today-sober-tomorrow-india-sways-worse-than-a-drunkard-over-prohibition/
- MHFW (2016)., National Family Health Survey-4., http://rchiips.org/nfhs/pdf/NFHS4/India.pdf.
- Singh (2016)., Prohibition of Alcohol in Bihar: A Study of Socioeconomic Impact., Journal of European Academic Research, 4(4).