Myths behind the Rapes in India
- 1Jindal Global Law School, Sonipat, Haryana, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 52-54, January,14 (2017)
It is a fierce reality that every day a new rape case is reported at some region in India. This short note illustrates a few examples of such brutal rapes to prove that provocation is not the reason for committing a rape, rather it is the insatiable lust combined with the lack of fear for the legal sanction that instigates rape. This note suggests that in any rape case, priority should be attributed not to whether the victim was provocative or not, but whether the accused was as fragile as to get provoked by seeing the victim so as to commit rape. Further, this note evaluates the necessity of criminalizing marital rapes and also as to how provocation becomes redundant in child rapes in India. Why is a wife seen as a mere tool for sexual gratification? How is a child capable of sexually provoking the perpetrator to commit rape? These are some of the issues that this note addresses. In short, this note argues that firstly, rape should be seen a violation of bodily integrity of an individual; and secondly, provocation should be disregarded as a factor causing rape.
- Rape (2016)., Oxford Dictionaries., https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rape(Accessed on: 6/10/2016)
- Rape (2016)., Cambridge Dictionary., http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/rape (Accessed on: 6/10/2016)
- Aradhna Wal. (2003)., My Husband My Rapist., Tehelka. (n.d).
- Neetu Chandra Sharma (2015)., 13,766 cases of child rapes reported in 2014., India Today.(n.d)
- David Sims (2016)., Breaking the silence: Indian child rape victims tell their stories., IBI Times. (n.d.)
- Deeptiman Tiwari (2016)., NCRB data: 25 per cent of children raped were targeted at work by the employers and co-workers., The Indian Express. (n.d).
- Al Jazeera and Agencies (2016)., India police arrest teenagers in rape of toddler., Al Jazeera (n.d.)
- Local Press Co Staff., Toddler raped in Vikhroli, suspect arrested within hours., Local Press. (n.d)
- Rahul Srinivas (2016)., India: 11-Month-old baby raped inside police complex by construction worker., Inquisitor. (n.d)