Using Cohesive Devices during the course of Lectures “The lectures’ Role”
- 1Shagraa University, Afif College of Education, Saudi Arabia
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 33-36, May,14 (2016)
This research paper investigates the use and misuse of cohesive devices by 4th year students at Neelain University. The primary aim is to investigate the teacher’s role in encouraging the students to write well tided writing using cohesive devices in classes naturally when they perform their lectures. When English Language lecturers use these devices this will motivate the students as well to do the same and use them in writing and speaking. The findings of the study reveals that the lecturers use only some devices, for example reference and conjunction but they ignore using ellipsis and substitution, except native speakers who used all types of cohesion relations. A number of pedagogical recommendations and suggestions were included.
- Cipollone N. et al (1994)., Language files materials for an introduction to Language and Linguistics., Ohio State University Press. Columbus 20-23.
- Halliday M. and Hassan R. (1976)., Cohesion in English. London and New York., Longman 6-40.
- Jackbson R. (1960)., Closing statements: linguistics and poetics in (ed)., T.A. sebeok style in language. Cambridge, mass; MIT press, 5.
- McCarthy M. (1991)., Discourse analysis for applied linguistics., London: Cambridge University Press.
- Nuttal C. (1982)., Teaching Writing Skills in a foreign language 2nd (ed)., Oxford. Heine mann.
- Connor V. (1996)., Contrastive Rhetoric: cross-cultural aspects of second language, (2002)., New directions in contrastive rhetoric. TESOL Quarterly 36(4), 493-510.
- Fahnestock J (1983)., Semantic and lexical coherence., College composition and communication, 34(4), 400-416.
- Witte S. and Faigley L. (1981)., Coherence, Cohesion and Writing Quality, College Composition and Communication, 32, 189-204. Writing. Cambridge University Press.
- Carrel P. (1982)., Cohesion is not coherence, TESOL Quarterly, 16(4), 479-88.
- Bamberger T. (1983)., Music, math and science: Towards and integrated curriculum., Journal of Learning Through Music, 1, 32-35.
- Kern R. (2000)., Literacy and language teaching., Oxford and New York, Oxford University Press.
- Lee Eun-Pyo (2003)., Textual cohesion and reading comprehension., M.A. in Education. Thesis. University of Korea.
- Nunan D. (1999)., Second language teaching and learning., Boston. Heinle and Heinlle