The causes of suicide and Impact of society in Bangladesh
- 1Department of Political Science, National University, Dhaka, Gazipur -1704, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 25-35, March,14 (2016)
Suicide is now a frequent event in Bangladesh. It is considered to be a deviant behavior. According to the latest WHO data published in April 2012 suicide deaths in Bangladesh reached 19,697 or 2.06 percent of total deaths. The age adjusted death rate is 13.52 per 1,00,000 of population ranks Bangladesh is 38th in the world. Among the top 20 causes of death Bangladesh suicide number is 17. So it is considered a key problem in recent times. That\\\'s why my study is about suicide. In my study I try to identify the causes of suicide, impact of suicide on family and members, where the rate of suicide is high, what ages people commit suicide etc. And I observed that the rate of suicide is high among the teenagers. And maximum people commit suicide because of frustration. Now-a-days the picture high occupational mobility, high dream and hope for better life is leading to high rate of suicidal deaths. In present time suicidal gesture, at temple to commit suicide are seen in the community. In the period of 2004-2008 total 98 autopsies performed among then 59 were found as suicidal deaths in medical college and hospital. Among them 18 cases ended their life by poisoning, rest of those are as follows-Train-Run over (5), Hanging (15), Drowning (7), Alcohol (2), Burn (4), Celphos Poisoning (1), Insecticides Poisoning (7).
- Alexander R.E. (2001)., Stress-Related Suicide by Dentists and Other Health Care Workers: Fact or Folklore?., Journal of the American Dental Association 132.6, 786-794.
- Aseltine R.H. and De Martino R. (2004)., An Outcome Evaluation of the SOS Suicide Prevention, Program American Journal of Public Health 94.3, 446-451.
- Johansson L, Lindqvist P and Eriksson A. (2006)., Teenage suicide cluster formation and contagion: implications for primary care., Biomedical Central Family Practice, 7, 32.
- Brown H. (2003)., Suicide by Cop: When It Happens to You, There, Police Stressline.
- Cuellar J. and Curry T.R. (2007)., The Prevalence and Co morbidity between Delinquency, Drug Abuse, Suicide Attempts, Physical and Sexual Abuse, and Self-Mutilation Among Delinquent Hispanic Females., Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Science 29.1, 68-82.
- Etiason S. (2009)., Murder-suicide: A review of the recent literature., Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 37.3, 371-376.
- Fawcett J. (2001)., Treating Impulsivity and Anxiety in the Suicidal Patient., Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 932, 94-105.
- Conwell Y., Duberstein P.R., Connor K., Eberiy S., Cox C. and Caine E.D (2002)., Access to Firearms and Risk for Suicide in Middle-aged and Older Adults., American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 10 Aug. 407-416.
- Frierson R.L., Melikian M. and Wadman P.C. (2002)., Principles of Suicide Risk Assessment. How to Interview Depressed Patients and Tailor Treatment., Postgraduate Medicine 112.3.
- Osterweil N. (2007)., APA: Simple Screen Improves Suicide Risk Assessment., Psychiatric Times May 25.
- Qtn P., Agerbo E. and Mortensen P.B. (2003)., Suicide Risk in Relation to Socioeconomtc, Demographic, Psychiatric and Familial Factors: A National Register-Based Study of All Suicides in Denmark, 1981-1997., American Journal of Psychiatry 160, 765-772.
- Russell ST. and K. Joyner (2001)., Adolescent Sexual Orientation and Suicide Risk: Evidence from a National Study.\\\", American Journal of Public Health 91.8, 1276-1281.
- Kim Young-Shin (2008)., Bullying and Being Bullied Linked to Suicide in Children, Review of Studies Suggests., Science Daily. 19.
- Reuter-Rice K. (2008)., Mate Adolescent Bullying and the School Shooter., Journal of school Nursing 24.6, 350-359.
- Frileux S., Lelievre C., Munoz Sastre M.T., Mullet E. and Sorum P.C. (2003)., When is Physician Assisted Suicide or Euthanasia Acceptable?,, Journal of Medical Ethics 29, 330-336.
- Horowitz M.J., Siegel B., Holen A., Bonanno G.A., Milgrath C. and Stinson C.H. (2003)., Diagnostic Criteria for Complicated Grief Disorder., Focus 1, 290-298.
- JAMA (2005), Patient Page. Suicide., Journal of the American Medical Association 293.20.
- Neimeyer R.A., Prigerson H.G. and Davies B. (2002)., Mourning and Meaning., American Behavioral Scientist 46.2, 235-251.
- Palmer LI. (2003)., The Legal and Political Future of Physician-Assisted Suicide., Journal of the American Medical Association 289, 2283.
- Gibbons R.D., K. Hur O.K. Bhaumik and J.J. Mann (2006)., The Relationship between Antidepressant Prescription Rates and Rate of early Adolescent Suicide., American Journal of Psychiatry 163, 1898-1904.
- Rask K., Kaunonen M. and Paunonen-llmonen M. (2002)., Adolescent Coping with Grief after the Death of a Loved One., Internationa! Joumaiof Nursing Practice 8(3), 137-142.
- Reinherz H.Z., Tanner J.L. and Serger S.R. (2006)., Adolescent Suicidal Idea for Predictive of Psychopathology, Suicidal Behavior and Compromised Functioning at Age 30., American Journal of Psychiatry 163, 1226-3122.
- Shain B.N. (2007)., Committee on Adolescence., Suicide and Suicide Attempts in Adolescents. Ped/africs120.3, 669-676.
- Henn Matt, Mark Weinstein and Nick F (2006)., A Short Introduction to Social Research., SAGE Publications, London
- Babbie E. (2004)., The Practice of Social Research., Thomson Asia Pte. Ltd. Singapore.
- Lin Lan (1976), Foundations of Social Research. McGraw-Hill Book Company., New York
- Sher L. (2004)., Preventing Suicide., Quarterly Journal of Medicine, 97.10, 677-680.