Poverty and Inequality in Development at Community Level: an Empirical Analysis in the context of the Tai-Ahoms of Assam, India
- 1Department of Economics, Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh, Assam, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 6-8, March,14 (2016)
Growing inequality has now been considered as one of the development problems. Rising income inequality shows that the benefit of growth is not shared evenly by all sections of the society- especially by the Scheduled Tribes, Scheduled Castes and other disadvantaged classes which are hindering the progress of the country. The lopsided development has also resulted incidence of insurgency, separatist movement, ethnic conflicts and a polarization of politics based on castes, clans, religion and region. The Tai-Ahoms is one of the backward communities of Assam who has been for a long time demanding the status of scheduled tribe to raise their socio-economic and political status. Based on primary level study, this paper is an attempt to study the degree of inequality at the community level. It is found from the study that the prevailing income inequality among the community is very high. There is also the variation in the level of income inequality across the districts. Further, inequalities have also been observed in the sphere of educational attainment and health attainment.
- Siegel Jacob S. and Swanson David A (2004)., The Methods and Materials of Demography., Second edition, Elsevier Academic Press, ISBN: 978-0126419558.
- Swanson David A (2012)., Basic Measures, The Springer Series on Demographic Methods and population Analysis., Springer, Germany. ISBN: 978-90-481-8953-3.
- Tadaro M.P. and Smith Stephen C. (2012)., Economic Development., Pearson, New Delhi, ISBN: 978-8131764428.
- Directorate of Economics and Statistics (2011)., Economic Survey., Assam, 2011-12, Government of Assam, Guwahati.
- Mahanta A. (2011)., The Determinants of Health and Hygiene of the Tribes of Assam: A Study of the Mishings., (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh, Assam.
- J Klugman (2010)., Human Development Report 2010: 20th Anniversary Edition, The Real Wealth of Nations: Pathways to Human Development, Palgrave Mcmillan, New York, ISBN: 978-0230284456.
- Directorate of Economics and Statistics (2014)., Statistical Handbook of Assam, Government of Assam, Guwahati.
- SRS Bulletin (2015), censusindia, http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/SRS_Bulletins/SRS%20Bulletin%20-Sepetember%202014.pdf, Accessed on 10-09-2015 (2015).
- Census of India (2011)., District Census Handbook., Assam, Census of India