News Coverage of Public Protest Against to Bauxite Mining: A Content Analysis of Indian Dailies
- 1Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India
- 2Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (12), Pages 17-24, December,14 (2016)
In this study, we analyzed the news coverage of public protest to Bauxite Mining in India by the Indian newspapers. A quantitative designed based on content analysis was adopted in this research. The news on public protests to Bauxite mining appeared in The Hindu, The New Indian Express, Eenadu and Vaartha newspapers between 1st January, 2012 to 31st December, 2012 have been analyzed. These were classified news, news stories, editorials, articles, photos and cartoons used. It concludes that the coverage of public protests to Bauxite mining is neither significant nor encouraging in the sample dailies.
- Jagannadh Rao M. et.al (2016)., Bauxite Mining in Eastern Ghats of Andhra Pradesh, Possible Environmental Implications and Measures for Environmentally Friendly Mining., International Journal of Science and Research. 5(4).
- National Mineral Policy (2008)., Ministry of Mines, Government of India., http://www.fedmin.com/upload/ nmp08.pdf.
- Lyla Bavadam (2010)., The Hindu Survey on the Environment., Page 91-92.
- Sunita Narain (2012)., Yozana, Publication Division., May 2012 P-11
- Poornananda D.S. (2008)., Claim-maker and frames of environmental news in India., Mass Communicator, 31-37.
- Chapman G., Kumar K. J., Fraser C. and Gaber I. (1997)., Environmentalism and The Mass Media: The North – South Divide., London, GBR: Routledge.
- Paimre M. and Loit H. H. (2011)., Media Generated News Waves – Catalysts for Discursive Change: The Case Study on Drug Issues in Estonian Print Media., Journalism, 12(4), 433-448.
- Anderson A, (1997)., Media, Culture and The Environment., New Jersy: Rutgers University Press
- MoEF (2010)., Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India.,