Comparative Analysis of Performance of National Agriculture Insurance scheme (NAIS) within Major Contributing States and Madhya Pradesh
- 1Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur, Madhy Pradesh, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (10), Pages 43-51, October,14 (2016)
Agriculture is main source of livelihood for many and is also associated with risk and to improve the condition and status of farmers it is equally important to minimize risk and optimize the benefit of farming by adoption of crop insurance : National agriculture insurance scheme which many states have adopted and is showing positive results, states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujrat and Rajasthan account for 65% cases and 69 % area is insured under National agriculture insurance scheme(NAIS). Among these Madhya Pradesh has shown best results in Area insured and less loss ratio also in comparision to other states. Overall development is possible in agriculture only when all the states start adopting crop insurance and adopt the model worked by other states, government intervention is majorily required in this area along with other measured suggested in the paper to make the scheme a success.
- AIC India (2013)., Agriculture Insurance Corporation of India., /www. aicindia.org/ September 2013.
- Bhende M.J. (2005)., Agriculture insurance in India: Problems and prospect., Department of Economic Analysis and Research, NABARD, occasional paper no. 44.
- Hazell P.B.R., Pomareda Carlos and Valdes Alberto (1986)., Crop insurance for Agriculture development: Issues and Experience., Published for the International Food Policy Research Institute, The John Hopkins University press. Baltimore and London.
- Skees Jerry, Hazell P.B.R. and Miranda Mario (1999)., New approaches to crop yield insurance in developing countries., Environment and Production Technology Division International Food Policy Research Institute, EPTD discussion paper 55.
- Raju S.S. and Chand Ramesh (2008)., A study on the performance of NAIS and suggestion to make it more effective., Agricultural Economics Research Review, 21, 11-19.
- Raju S.S. and Chand Ramesh (2008)., Agriculture Insurance in India problems and prospect., National centre for agricultural economics and policy research, ICAR, working paper no. 08.
- Govt. of MP (2014)., Madhya pradesh Agriculture economic survey report., Department of planning, Economics and statistics, Government of Madhya Pradesh.
- Walker T.S. and Jodha N.S. (1982)., Efficiency of Risk Management by Small Farmers and Implications for Crop Insurance., International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics ICRISAT Patancheru, Andhara Pradesh, Economic program progress report 45.