Performance of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in Karnataka, India
- 1Political Science (Retd), Union Christian College. No.1004, 7 th Main, Chowdeshwari Layout, Marathahalli, Bangalore , Karnataka, INDIA
- 2Department of Political Science, Government Women’s College, Kolar, Karnataka, INDIA
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 15-19, January,14 (2016)
Rural Development in India is one of the most important factors for the growth of Indian economy. India is regarded as the land of villages. Out of 1,210,276,932 (121 crore) Indians 833,087,662(68.84 crore ) live in rural areas while 377,105,760 (31.16 crore) live in urban areas. Poverty, unemployment, farmers deaths, drought, low level of communications, illiteracy have increased during the last few decades. In order to overcome all these problems especially rural unemployment, Government of India enacted The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) on 25th August 2005. This act has been renamed as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREAGA) on 2nd October 2009. This Act guarantees 100 days of employment in each financial year to rural adult members of the family who are willing to do unskilled manual work at the statutory minimum wages. MGNREAGA is the largest employment guarantee programme in the world providing work to 5 crore rural household or 10 crore workers. One in every 3 rural households is a worker under this programme. It addressed 41% of the problem of under employment in rural areas. In Karnataka 57.23 lakh households registered and 57.23 lakh job cards have been issued. In 2014-15 total availability of fund is 1590.40 crores. This paper studies about the performance of MGNREGA in Karnataka State.
- Harsimran Singh(2012)., Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, undefined
- Manjunatha S.(2013)., The Role of Women Self Help Groups in Rural Development of Karnataka -State, Int. Res. J. Social Sci.,2(9), 23-25.
- Umdor Sumarbin(2014)., Social Audits of MGNREGA in Meghalaya, INDIA, Int. Res. J. Social Sci.,3(4), 12-16.
- N.Pani and C. Iyer(2011)., Evaluation of the impact of Processes in the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Scheme in Karnataka, NIAS.
- Prasanna V Salian and DS Leelavathi(2014)., Implementation of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in Karnataka: Issues and Challenges, JRD, NIRD, Hyderabad., undefined
- K.S. Prasad (2012).Performance of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act: An over view, International Journal of Management and Business Studies., undefined
- T.P.Shashikumar(2013)., Origin and performance of MGNREGA in India: A special reference to Karnataka, Artha Prabhand, A Journal of Economics and Management.
- Siddalingareddy and Basheer Ahmed Khan(2015)., Performance of MGNREGA in Dharwad district of Karnataka State, Indian Stream Research Journal.
- Veena KP and C.Mahadevamurthy(2014)., MGNREGA-Role of Employment: A step towards inclusive growth, IJMSRR.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Gurantee, Actwww. nrega.nic.in(2015).