A Study on Problems of Tea Plantation Workers in Nilgiris District, Tamilnadu, India
- 1Dept. of Law , Pune University, Pune, INDIA
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 8-14, January,14 (2016)
The Nilgiris district resides inside the Indian state of TamilNadu and a part of a larger mountain chain known as the Western Ghats. The Nilgiris district is mainly an agriculture district and its economy mainly depends upon the success or failure of crops especially the plantation crops like tea and coffee. The climatic environments and troposphere of the area make the Nilgiris District the appropriate place in South India for cultivation of tea as a result the zones under tea cultivation in Nilgiris are massive and spread. The cultivation of tea is mainly based on the tea plantation workers and the study is to analyze about the problems of tea plantation workers in Nilgiris District. The miserable living conditions and the wages of the tea plantation workers are identified. The importance of considering these factors is analyzed and suggested as per the results inferred from several tea estates and unions resides in Nilgiris District.
- Gill Sucha Sing (1998)., Migration of labour in India., The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 41, 4.
- Our Rights and Duties two sides of the same Coin, Ministry of I and B printing, Government of India, Calcutt(1991).
- Drought in Maharashtra, Bombay,(1974)
- Mishra Lakshmi Dhar, (2001)., Can Globalization and Labour Rights co-exist, The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 44, 1.
- Report of the Royal Commission on Labour in India, Central publication branch, Government of India, Calcutta, (1931).
- National Institute of Rural Development Hyderabad, Report of the Financing the rural poor, February, (1972).
- Nayar Depak et.al, (2003)., Livelihoods and Rights, The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 46, 1, January –March.
- Powar R.S. et.al, (1983)., The role of agricultural in developing countries, Rural India, 46, 12, December.
- Shyamsundhar Ket.al, (2004)., The Issue of Right to Strike, Report on Four Consultations, The Indian Journals of labour Economics, New Delhi.
- Singh Parduman et.al, (1997)., Social Security Systems in Developing Countries, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, New Delhi.
- Union Planters Association of South India, Status Report Page No: 8 July to Nov, (200