The efficacy of group reminiscence on the mental health of elderly men living in the 13th district of Kabul – Afghanistan
- 1Department of Psychology, Bamyan University, Bamyan, Afghanistan
- 2Department of Psychology, Bamyan University, Bamyan, Afghanistan
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 10, Issue (3), Pages 35-39, July,14 (2021)
Global studies show that the elderly population is increasing due to promotion of wellbeing. This group, however, still suffers from many health issues that can jeopardize their mental health. The present study was carried out to examine the impact of group reminiscence on the mental health of elderly men residing in the 13th district of Kabul. The research method was quasi-experimental including pre-test and post-test with a control group. All elderly and retired men living in the 13th district of Kabul were the statistical population of this study.16 men were selected(those who were eligible for the study and scored above 50 on the GHQ-28 mental health test). Out of 30 elderly men selected by convenience sampling method. Then the participants were paired and placed into experimental and control groups (8 participants for each group) according to the score of the questionnaire (pre-test) and demographic components. The participants in the experimental group took part in 10 sessions of reminiscences while no intervention was offered to the control group. At the end, the mental health questionnaire (post-test) was implemented in both groups and the pre-test and post-test data were analyzed by the MANCOVA. The group reminiscence contributed to a significant reduction in physical symptom components of elderly men in the experimental group (physical symptoms P = 0.02, anxiety P = 0.01, social dysfunction P = 0.100 and depression P = 0.000). Group reminiscence method can improve the mental health components of elderly men and can be used as an effective, inexpensive, and accessible method.
- Mattay, Venkata, S., Goldberg, Terry, E., Sambataro, Fabio., Weinberger and Danie, R. (2008)., Neurobiology of Cognitive Aging: Insights from Imaging Genetics., Biological Psychology, 12(70), 9-12.
- Nelson, S. (2002)., Global Health Expectancy Research Among Older People., Aging and Health Technical Report Series, 10(8), 10-18.
- Namadian, M. and Gobadi, S. (2006)., Evaluation of Mental Status Old Age s Zanjan on 2001., Tehran; Ashena press., 9(10), 8-12.
- Taban, H., Ghasemi, G.H., Farzaneh, A., and kazemi, M. (2006)., Evaluation Old Age Problems in Iran and Word., Tehran; Ashena press., 12(10),44-46.
- Froghan, M., Ghaem magham, F., Akbari, A. and Kamrani, A. (2006)., Disordes of Outpatient Mental Health Clienic Clients Pooya., Senior Journal, 2(1), 12-41.
- Chao, S.Y., Liu, H.Y., Wu, C.Y., Jin, S.F., Chu, T.L, and Hung, T.S. (2006)., The Effects of Group Reminiscence Therapy on Depression, Self Esteem, and Life Satisfaction of Elderly Nursing Home Residents., J Nurs Res., 14(1), 36-45.
- Thomas, B., Hardy, S., Stauart and Sunders (2000)., Mental Health Nursing: principles and practice., New York, Mosby Company.,12(14), 638-45.
- Hanaoka, H. and Okamura, H. (2004)., Study on Effects of Life Review Activities on the Quality of Life of the Elderly: a Randomized Controlled Trial., Psychosomatic., 73(5), 302-11.
- Shibani, Tazrji, F., Pakdaman, S.H.,and Hasanzade Tavakoli M. (2010)., The Effect of Reminiscence on Depression and Loneliness, Elderly., Journal of Applied Psychology, 4(1), 26-39.
- Jonse, E.D. (2003)., Examination of Reminiscence Therapy for Depressed Older Women Residing in a Long-term Care Facility Using the Nursing Intervention Classification., Journal of Deontological Nursing, 29(7), 27-33.
- Chiang, K.J., Chou, H., Chang, H.J., Chung, M.H., Chen, C.H., Chiou, H.Y. and Chou, K.R. (2009)., The Effects of Reminiscence Therapy on Psychological Well-being, Depression and Loneliness Among the Institutionalized aged., International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry., 25(4), 38.
- Shellman, J. M., Mokel, M., and Hewitt, N. (2009)., The Effects of Integrative Reminiscence on Depression Symptoms in Older African., Western Journal of Nursing Research, 31(14), 772- 76.
- Bohlmeijer, E. T., Westerhof, G. J., & Emmerik-de Jong, M. (2008). The effects of integrative reminiscence on meaning in life: Results of a quasi-experimental study. Aging and Mental Health, 12(5), 639-646., undefined, undefined
- Wang, J. J. (2007)., Group Reminiscence Therapy for Cognitive and Effective Function of Demented Elderly in Taiwanese., International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry., 25(4), 38-46.
- Wang, J.J., Hsu, Yc., and Cheng, S.F. (2005)., The Effects of Reminiscence in Promoting Mental Health of Taiwanese Elderly., Lnt J Nurs Stud., 42(1), 31-6.
- Moradi Nejad, S., Sahbai, F., Takavand, M., and Zare, M. (2010)., Mental Health Impact of Reminiscence on the Elderly., Senior Journal., 5(17), 66-95.
- Taghvi, M. (2001)., Assessment of the Validity and Reliability of the General Health Questionnaire., J Psych., 5(4), 381-398.
- Elford, H., Wilson, F., McKee, K.J., chung, M.C., Bolton, G., and Goudie, F.P. (2005)., Psychosocial benefits of Solitary Reminiscence Writing: an Exploratory Study., Aging Ment Health., 9(4), 305-314.
- Chia- jung, Hsieh (2010)., The Effect of Reminiscence Music Therapy Session on Changes in Depressive Symptoms in Elderly Persons with Dementia., Journal of Nursing Research, 18(1), 1-10.
- Wang, J.J., Yen, M. and Ouyang, W.C. (2009)., Group Reminiscence Intervention in Taiwanese Elders with Dementia., Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics., 49(2), 231-237.
- Nemati Dehkordi, S.H., Nemati Dehkordi, M., Nekooi, A., and Frozandeh, R. (2008)., The Memory Effect of Processing on Elderly Depression., Armaghan Danesh Journal., 13(3), 57-64.