Role of media towards elderly people and their personality
- 1Bhilai Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Bhilai, CG, India
- 2Govt. D.B.P.G Girls College, Raipur, CG, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 1-5, August,6 (2017)
The purpose of this study was to investigate the nature of personality, level of loneliness, essential needs of elderly people, and the role of communication media in Bhilai City. A sample comprising 100 elderly people participated in the study majority of the people were female (64%) while 34% of Male. The mean age was 65.98 (SD = 7.51) with a range from 50 to 94. The Dimensional Personality Inventory tool was used to analyse the personality and Pearson-Product-Moment correlations were used to explore the relationships between participants\' loneliness, needs, and characteristics. The findings of this study provided essential information, about elderly peopleís personality traits, concerning: level of loneliness and relationships that exist among loneliness and the use of media like internet, television, and mobile phones for their social connect. The findings also suggest implications for psychosocial practice. The results partly supported the hypotheses as well as extended the knowledge about what factors contribute to decision making. This analysis will be useful for the researchers, care takers and media sources as well as decision makers for taking informed decisions and for further study.
- Faber J.A. (2004)., The therapy with the elderly journal of family psychotherapy., 14(4), 1-14.
- Mc Connel J.V. (1974)., Understanding human behavior., Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 493, ISBN: 0-03-089715-7.
- Kensaku S. (2010)., Older people and television viewing in Japan., NHK Broad casting studies, 63-94.
- Rockmann R. and Gewald H. (2015)., elderly people in health: who are they., procedia computer science, 63(10), 505-510.
- Bhargava M. and Bargava A. (1999)., Personality Traits Among Narcotic drug Abusers., Indian Journal Of Clinical Psychology, 26, 93-97.
- Triandis Harry C. and Suh Eunkook M. (2002)., Cultural influence on personality., Annual Review of Psychology, 53, 133-160.
- Hudson N.W. and Fraley R.C. (2015)., Volitional Personality Trait Change: Can People Choose to Change Their Personality Traits?., Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 109, 490.
- Oliver P.J., Srivastava S., Potter J. and Gosling S.D. (2003)., Development of Personality in Early and Middle Adulthood: Set Like Plaster or Persistent Change?., Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84(5), 1041-1053.
- Cronbach L.J. (1951)., Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests., Psychometrika, 16(3), 297-334.
- Bhargava A., Jamison D.T., Lau L.J. and Murray C.J. (2001)., Modeling the effects of health on economic growth., Journal of Health and economics, 20(3), 423-440.
- Nachar Nadim (2008)., The Mann‐Whitney U: A Test for Assessing Whether Two Independent Samples Come from the Same Distribution., Tutorials in Quantitative Methods for Psychology, 4(1), 13-20.
- Techatassanasoontorn A. and Ractham P. (2014)., Social Media Use and Senior Citizenís Life Satisfaction., 25th Australasian Conference on Information Systems 8th -10th Dec 2014, Auckland, New Zealand