Existing performance appraisal practices in private Engineering Institutions: assessment through teachers
- 1Kruti Institute of Technology & Engineering, Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekananda Technical University Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 2Bhilai Institute of Technology- Durg, Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekananda Technical University-Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 3Bhilai Institute of Technology- Durg, Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekananda Technical University-Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 6, Issue (5), Pages 1-19, May,6 (2017)
The education scenario in higher education is very gloomy as far as the employability of students and their result is concerned. One of the factors related to this may be the quality of teachers in the institutions. The education has become dynamic with new innovations in processes, products and approaches. This fast changing pace in education has made the Human Resource Development Practices like Appraisal of Performance, Training & Management of Knowledge very crucial as are directly related to contents and practices of education system. This paper takes one of the factor i.e. performance appraisal to study. The engineering teachers are asked to assess the existing performance appraisal practices in their institutions through the closed ended structured questionnaire. The sample was draw through the convenient sampling. For data collection 5 scale likert scale is used. The analysis is done through percentage and the presentation is carried out using pie chart. The findings highlight that the assessment is on negative side. The overall findings suggest that the institutions must pay attention to performance appraisal practices and use it as an important Human Resource Development Tool.
- Anonyms (2017)., Band Honge 221 Takniki Sansthan., Patrika Xpose. http,//epaper.patrika.com /1126700/Raipur-Patrika/Raipur-Patrika-News
- Devika S. (2016)., Most Engineering Students in India Lack Basic Skills., Business Today. http,//www.businesstoday.in/management/career/most-engineering-students-in-india-lack-basic-skills-aspiring-minds/story/229453.html. Browsing Date, 26th February 2016.
- Tandon A. (2015)., Press Release, University Graduates Not Prepared for The Workplace, A CareerBuilder India Survey Reveals., http,//www.thecareermuse.co.in/press-release-graduate-not-prepared-workplace/. Browsing Date, 28th July 2015.
- Saroja S. (2014)., Effect of Teaching Pedagogy on Empowering Employability Skills in Management Education., Acme Intellects International Journal of Research in Management, Social Sciences & Technology, 1-7.
- Case J.M. and Light G. (2011)., Emerging Methodologies in Engineering Education Research., Journal of Engineering Education, 100(1), 186-210.
- Bhattacharyya Dipak Kumar (2012)., Human Resource Development, Mumbai, Himalaya Publishing House, India., 369. ISBN Number : 978-93-5097-039-3
- AL-Qudah M.K.M., Osman A., Ab Halim Mohd Suberi and Al-Shatanawi Hamza Ali (2014)., The Effect of Human Resources Planning and Training and Development on Organizational Performance in the Government Sector in Jordan., International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences., 4(4), 79-85.
- Atteya N.M. (2012)., Testing the Impact of the Human Resource Management Practices on Job Performance, An Empirical Study in the Egyptian Joint Venture Petroleum Companies., International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(9), 105-119.
- Tabiu A. and Nura A. (2013)., Assessing the Effects of Human Resource Management (HRM) Practices on Employee Job Performance, A Study of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto., Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 5(2), 247-259.
- Shaukat H., Ashraf M. and Ghafoor S. (2015)., Impact of Human Resource Management Practices on Employees Performance., Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 23(2), 329-338.
- Bartel A.P. (2004)., Human Resource Management and Organizational Performance, Evidence from Retail Banking., Industrial and Labour Relations Review, 57(2), 181-203.
- Rehman M.S. (2011)., Exploring the Impact of Human Resources Management on Organizational Performance, A Study of Public Sector Organizations., Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 2(4), 1-16.
- Rudman Richard (2002)., Human Resources Management in New Zealand., Pearson Education. New Zealand. ISBN: 978-14-8601-366-1.
- Ajitha H. and Panchanatham N. (2014)., Impact of Performance Appraisal on Employee Motivation in New Private Sector Banks in Coimbatore City., International Research Journal of Business Management, 7(11), 48-57.
- Tahsildari A. and Shahnaei S. (2015)., Enhancing Organizational Effectiveness by Performance Appraisal, Training, Employee Participation, and Job Definition., European Journal of Business and Management, 7 (12), 56-63.
- Akuoko K.O. and Kanwetuu V. (2012)., Performance Appraisal as Employee Motivation Mechanism in Selected Financial Institutions in Kumasi, Ashanti Region of Ghana., ZENITH, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Researc, 2(6), 20-37.
- Akinbowale M.A., Jinabhai D.C. and Lourens M.E. (2013)., Role of Performance Appraisal Policy and Its Effects on Employee Performance. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences., 2(7), 19-26.
- Chaponda N.C. (2014)., The Effect of Performance Appraisal on Employee Motivation, A Survey of Slum Based Non-Governmental Organizations in Nairobi., Project Report. Chandaria School of Business. Kenya.
- Rathi R. and Goyal S. (2015)., Impact of Performance Appraisal on Employee’s Motivation., ASM’s International E-Journal on Ongoing Research in Management and IT. INCON – X 2015, 246 -255.
- Malik M.S. and Aslam S. (2013)., Performance Appraisal and Employee’s Motivation, A Comparative Analysis of Telecom Industry of Pakistan., Pakistan Journal of Social Sciences, 33(1), 179-189.
- Iqbal N., Ahmad N., Haider Z. and Batool Y. (2013)., Impact of Performance Appraisal on Employee’s Performance Involving The Moderating Role of Motivation., Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review (OMAN Chapter), 3(1), 37-56.
- Kamphorst J. and Swank O. (2012)., The Role of Performance Appraisals in Motivating Employees., Tinbergen Institute / Discussion Paper. TI 2012-034/1.
- Saleh AL-Sinawi, Piawa C.Y. and Idris A.R. (2015)., Factors Influencing the Employees Service Performance in Ministry of Education in Sultanate of Oman., Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences, 197, 23-30.
- Mohamad A.A., Lo M. and La M. (2009)., Human Resource Practices and Organizational Performance., Incentives As Moderator.
- Femi A.F. (2013)., Perception of Performance Appraisal and Workers’ Performance in Wema Bank Headquarters, Lagos., Global Journal of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, 1(4), 89-101.