Does Stock Market Respond to Financial Crisis?
- 1Shri Raojibhai Gokalbhai Patel Gujarati Professional Institute of Management, Indore, MP, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 1-8, September,6 (2016)
This research paper studies the impact of financial crisis on Indian stock market via stock prices in relation with financial performance of companies, listed at Bombay Stock Exchange. To achieve this objective, performance of services sector companies from BSE 30 index were scrutinized by analyzing their quarterly moving data for duration from January 2006 till December 2013, for the possible change in relationship between stock prices and financial performance. Sales, net profit, gross profit, earning per share, return on equity, gross profit margin, return on assets and average share price were taken as independent variables for study. Share price was taken as dependent variable which represents stock market. Predictive regression models were developed to analyze the change in relationship between stock prices and financial performance, probably due to financial crisis.
- Mitton T. (2002)., A Cross-Firm Analysis of the Impact of Corporate Governance on the East Asian Financial Crisis., Journal of Financial Economics, 20, 293-315.
- Lim K.P., Brooks R.D. and Kim J.H. (2008)., Financial Crisis And Stock Market Efficiency: Empirical Evidence From Asian Countries., International Review of Financial Analysis,17, 571-591.
- Alper C.E. and Yilmaz K. (2004)., Volatility and Contagion: Evidence from the Istanbul Stock Exchange., Econ. Syst., 28, 353-367.
- Mehta A. (2012)., Financial Performance of UAE Banking Sector- A Comparison of before and during Crisis Ratios., International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance (IJTEF), 3(5), 381.
- Rafaqet A. and Muhammad A. (2012)., Impact of global financial crisis on stock markets: Evidence from Pakistan and India., Journal of Business Management and Economics, 3(7), 275-282.
- Olowe R.A. (2009)., Stock Return, Volatility and the Global Financial Crisis in an Emerging Market: The Nigerian Case., Intl. Rev. Bus., 5(4), 426-447.
- Ravichandran K. and Maloain A.M. (2010)., The Global Financial Crisis and Stock Market Linkages: Further Evidence on GCC Market., J. Money, Invest. Banking, 16, 46-56.
- Choudhry T., Lu L. and Peng K. (2007)., Common Stochastic Trends Among Far East Stock Prices: Effects of The Asian Financial Crisis., International Review of Financial Analysis, 16, 242-261.
- Muthukumaran T., Senthamil Raja A. and Palanichamy P. (2011)., Impact of Global Financial Crisis on Indian Stock Market - An Analytical Study., Asia-Pacific Journal of Management Research and Innovation, 7(2), 5-12.