A Literature Investigation on Hedge Funds: Crisscrossing Pompous Edges by Revisiting History
- 1Institute of Management Studies, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore, MP, India
- 2Institute of Management Studies, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore, MP, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 5, Issue (11), Pages 36-40, November,6 (2016)
Hedge funds in the previous years have become attractive with regards to money and portfolio management. An investment partnership started by Alfred Jones in 1949 in USA that was regarded as the first Hedge Fund adapted to store and enhance wealth management in the coming times almost for 80 years then. Even the Great Depression period of 1930’s and the breakdown of Bretton Wood Conference in 1970 and later on the first oil crisis in 1973-74 also characterized the remarkable growth of hedge funds in money management. But it was in 1998, the near breakdown of Long Term Capital Management (LTCM) that initiated a international liquidity crisis and that called out for the scrutinization of hedge funds typically for their publicized performance problems. It would be more appropriate to exactly figure out how the mood of hedge funds swings and why. For this the paper attempts and presents a chequered history of hedge funds and to explore their current scenario in the present financial world.
- Rapperport A. (2007)., A Short History of Hedge Funds., CFO Magazine. Retrieved from: http://www.cfo.com/ article.cfm/8914091/c_8913455. Visited on: July, 13, 2011.
- Milnes Paul (2014)., The History of Hedge Funds., Retrieved from: http://www.hedgethink.com/ education/ history-hedge-funds/. Accessed on: September 06, 2016 at 7:31pm.
- Totala Batra and Totala (2014)., Hedge Funds Origin as a Tool for Risk Mitigation., The Paths Ahead Globally 2014, ISBN: 978-93-84648-53-4.
- Makin John H. (2009)., Hedge Funds: Origins & Evolution., Retrieved from: www.aei.org, 2006/papaers/ economics/financial-services/hedge_funds_origins_and_ evolution/.
- Ineichen Alexander (2008)., Roadmap to Hedge Funds., Alternative Investment Management Association, London, November, Retrieved from: www.ineichen_rm.com/ index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=65.
- Coldwell T. and Kirkpatrick T. (1995)., A Primer on Hedge Funds., Courtesy of Lookout Mountain Capital, Inc, Elsevier.
- Jobman Darrell (2002)., The Hand Book of Alternative Investments., Tremont Advisers and TASS Investment Research, “Hedge Funds,” Canada. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Anderson S.C., Born J.A. and Schnusenberg O. (2010)., Closed-End Funds, Exchange-Traded Funds, and Hedge Funds., Innovations in Financial Markets and Institutions, 18, 87-103, Boston, MA: Springer US. Accessed on: 01 September, 2016 at 8:53 pm. Accessed on: 01 September, 2016 at 8:43pm.
- Njavro Mato (2012)., Asia-Focused Hedge Funds: Analysis of Performance, Performance Persistence and Survival.
- RE Rubin, A Greenspan, A Levitt, B Born (1999)., Hedge Funds, Leverage, and the Lessons of Long-Term Capital Management., President’s Working Group on Financial Markets, Retrieved from: http://www.ustreas. gov/press/releases/reports/hedgfund.pdf, April, 1999.
- Connor Gregory and Woo Mason (2004)., An Introduction to Hedge Funds., Financial Markets Group, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK. Retrieved from: http:/eprints.lse.ac.uk/24675/1/dp477.pdf. Accessed on: 03 September, 2016 at 6:53pm.
- Agrawal Vikas and Naik Narayan N. (2000)., Introduction to Hedge Funds., Financial Times Article, Retrieved from: http://www2.gsu.edu/~fncvaa/FT%20article.pdf.
- Fung William and David A. Hsieh (2000)., A Primer on Hedge Funds., Journal of Empirical Finance, 7, 1-36.
- Eichengreen Barry and Mathieson Donald (1999)., Hedge Funds: What Do We Really Know?., International Monetary Fund, ISBN 1-55775-849-2, September, Retrieved from: http://www.imf.org/external/ pubs/ft/ issues/ issues19/
- Oppel Richard A. (1999)., Calpers Plans to Invest More Aggressively., New York Times, September, Final edition, Page C2.
- Financial Stability Forum (2000)., Report from the Working Group on Heavily Leveraged Institutions., Retrieved from: http://www.fsforum.org/ publications/ Rep_WG_HLI00.pdf.
- Deutschman Alan (2001)., George Soros., Retrieved from: http://dir.salon.com/people/bc/2001/03/27/soros/index.html.
- Liang Bing (2001)., Hedge Fund Performance 1990-1999., Financial Analysts Journal, 57, 1, January/ February, Page 11-18.
- Gabelli Mario J. (2001)., The History of Hedge Funds - The Millionaire, New York.
- Sugathan Ajusal (2016)., What is the hedge fund scene in India? Why are Indians not starting hedge funds out of their dorm rooms like in the US?., Retrieved from: www.quora.com. Accessed on: 25 August, 2016 at 6:53pm.