Does Daily or Monthly Index Returns Make Difference in Market Efficiency? An Empirical Study of BSE and NSE Indices
- 1Institute of Management Studies, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore, MP, India
- 2Maharaja Ranjit Singh College of Professional Sciences, Indore, MP, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 5, Issue (11), Pages 7-14, November,6 (2016)
Stock market efficiency refers to an ability of the concern stock market to obtain, incorporate in and replicate out the significant information in stock prices rapidly and perfectly, and reflected in corresponding indices. The present study explored and tested empirically Weak Form of Stock Market Efficiency of selected sectoral indices of Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange by taking Daily and Monthly Index Returns. Natural returns in the index values have been considered by taking log difference changes for period from April, 2006 to March, 2015. Descriptive Statistics was used to test the normality of the Daily Index Returns and Monthly Index Returns. Weak Form Stock Market Efficiency of the selected sectoral indices of BSE and NSE were tested by non-parametric Runs Test by taking daily index returns and monthly index returns separately to judge difference in the result outcome of Weak Form Efficiency of stock market arising out of returns type.
- Mir Rouf Ahmad and Wani Arshad Nabi (2012)., Benchmark Indices of Indian Economy: A Comparative Analysis of SENSEX and Nifty., ABHINAV, National Monthly Refereed Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 2(6), 9-15, Cited in: http://www.abhinavjournal.com/images/Commerce_ &_ Management/Jun13/2.pdf.
- Nagendra M., Haritha M. and Ravi V. (2014)., NSE NIFTY and its Correlation with Sectoral Indexes., International Journal of Conceptions on Management and Social Sciences 2(1), 9-13, Cited in: http://www.worldairco.org/IJCMSS/March2014Paper27.pdf.
- Shanmugasundram G. and John D. (2013)., Volatility of the Indian Sectoral Indices: A Study with Reference to National Stock Exchange., International Journal of Marketing, Financial Services and Management Research, 2(8), 1-11.
- Chin Wen Cheong (2008)., A Sectoral Efficiency Analysis of Malaysian Stock Exchange under Structural Break., American Journal of Applied Sciences, 5(10), 1291-1295.
- Madhavi M. and Radhika Ravi (2010)., BSE and Sectoral Indices: A Comparative Study., International Journal of Research in Commerce and Management, 1(6), 71-75.
- Deo Vishal (2014)., Investigating Co-integration between Some Indian Stock Indices., International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 5(1), 1869-1872.
- Selvam Murugesan, Ramkumar R. and Lingaraja Kasilingam (2016)., Testing the Weak Form Efficiency with Respect to Sectoral Indices of National Stock Exchange Limited, India., Indian Journal of Research in Capital Markets, 1(1), 7-20, Cited at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301301624.
- Totala N.K., Saluja H.S. and Totala Sunita (2014)., Testing Market Efficiency of Selected S&P CNX Nifty Companies: A Comparative Study Using Daily And Monthly Stock Returns., Altius Shodh Journal of Management.