An Opinion based evaluation of Managerial Expertise Propounded by Dr. W. Edward Deming
- 1Department of Commerce and Management, Amrita School of Arts and Sciences, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kochi-24, Kerala, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 5, Issue (10), Pages 1-8, October,6 (2016)
Dr Edward Deming, Father of Quality Management, is a world renowned professional famous for his ideas on the ‘System of Profound Knowledge’ and the ‘14- Point Deming Philosophy’. This paper aims to highlight the attitude of new generation managers and teachers regarding the applicability of this expert knowledge in their respective areas of work for strategic advancement. The survey was conducted among 100 managers and 100 teachers selected at random. The result of the survey was surprising. Teachers, who were not even aware of this personality and his expertise, showed a positive inclination towards the application of these principles for their career growth alike that of the managers, majority of whom knew about Dr. Edward Deming and his principles. The survey was useful in highlighting the relevance of applying the Deming’s System of Profound Knowledge and 14 Point Philosophy among the teachers’ folk just in the same way, it is done among managers. This survey report would prove fruitful for those educational institutions that would take notice of this matter and initiate and monitor its application, among teachers and thereby help the teachers to achieve a competitive advantage which would ultimately help the institution to flourish in today’s strategic environment.
- The Classroom (2007)., The Teacher Role: The Manager., Word Press, Retrieved from https://fm44.wordpress.com /2007/12/23/the-teacher-role-the-manager/ Accessed on Jan-May 2016.
- Éva Ujlakyné Szucs (2009)., The role of teachers in the 21st Century., Sens Public, Revue Web, Retrieved from http://www.sens-public.org/article667.html?lang=fr Accessed on 2016.
- Gill Eric (2013)., What is your teaching style? 5 effective teaching methods for your classroom., Concordia University, Oregon, USA, Retrieved from http://education. cu-portland.edu/blog/teaching-strategies/5-types-of-classroom-teaching-styles/ Accessed on Jan.-May 2016.
- Tack Lanier Judith (1997)., Redefining the role of the teacher: It’s a multi faceted profession., a closer look at what being an educator means.
- Adrian Geering (2016)., The Changing Role of Managers., Adrian Geering, Blog, Retrieved from http://www.adriangeering.com/blog-detail.php?The-Changing-Role-of-Managers-9 Accessed on June-July 2016.
- Subba Rao M. and Srinivasulu R. (2013)., Role of Management in today’s changing world environment and emerging challenges of Organizational behaviour., International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Business Management, 1(1), 72-81, Retrieved from http://ijpsbm.com/docs/papers/september 2013/v1i114.pdf Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- Ken Blachard (2016)., The changing role of today’s managers., Smart BIZ, Retrieved from http://www.smartbiz.com/article/articleview/377/1/3/ Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- Mitch Mc Crimmon (2010)., A new role for Management in today’s post- industrial organizations., IVEY Business Journal, July-august, Retrieved from http://iveybusiness journal.com/publication/a-new-role-for-management-in-todays-post-industrial-organization/ Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- Magretta Joan and Stone N. (2016)., What Management Is., The Free Press, Ney Work, Profile Books, 2003, Retrieved from http://iveybusinessjournal.com/publication /a-new-role-for-management-in-todays-post-industrial-organization/ Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- Sky Mark (2016)., Dr. W. Edwards Deming., Sky Mark, retrieved from http://www.skymark.com/resources/ leaders/deming.asp Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- David “Zuma Dogg” Saltsburg (2009)., Interpreting Deming’s 14 Points., Smart Voter, Los Angeles County, CA, Retrieved from http://www.smartvoter.org/2009/ 03/03/ca/la/vote/saltsburg_d/paper3.html, Accessed on Jan-May 2016.
- Gabor Andrea (2014)., Lessons for education reformers from W Edward Deming, America’s Leading Management Thinker., Andrea Gabor, Blog posted on November 2014, Retrieved from https://andreagabor.com/2014/11/15/lessons -for-education-reformers-from-wedwards-deming-americas -leading-management-thinker/ Accessed on Jan-May 2016.
- Bowen Ronda (2010)., A look at Deming’s System of Profound Knowledge?., Bright hub Project Management, Retrieved from http://www.brighthubpm.com/methods-strategies/97802-a-look-at-demings-system-of-profound-knowledge/ Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- Milo Austin (2016)., Dr. W. Edwards Deming and Quality Management Implementing Dr. Deming’s Quality Management Philosophy within an IT Department., Slide Player, Retrieved from http://slideplayer.com/slide/ 6214541/ Accessed on Jan-June 2016.
- The W. Edward Deming Institute (2016)., Deming Institute 14 points., The W. Edward Deming Institute, Retrieved from https://www.deming.org/theman/theories/fourteen points Accessed on Jan-June 2016.