Modicare vs Medicare
- 1Department of Botany, S.B.N. Govt. P.G. College Barwani, M.P., India
- 2Scholar of MS HSA, Madonna University, Michigan, USA
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 10, Issue (2), Pages 1-9, May,6 (2021)
The Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY), famous by the name of Modicare or Ayushman Bharat Yojana, is the largest health insurance scheme of the world. It is based on the health care scheme of America, started by Barak Obama in March 2010 also known as ACA or Obamacare. It is a determined approach in the reforming the health care sector in India. The Gross domestic product (GDP) in terms of health care expenditure of India is amongst the lowest in the world at just over 1%. While the United States health care spending grew to 3.9 Percent in 2017, reaching $3.5 trillion or $10,739 per person. The share of the nations Gross Domestic Product, Health spending is accounted for 17.9 percent. Substantial shortfalls relating to infrastructure, workforce, and the quality & availability of services are the major black holes of Indian health system. There is a widespread demand for amendments across both public and private health care sectors if India is to achieve its aims in providing insurance coverage for all its population. The triumph of the program will largely be contingent on a highly organized and appropriately equipped public sector to take charge in launching, implementation, and monitoring of the scheme from the very beginning. The pace and current procedure of the program ought to be carefully evaluated to align the program to gain its objectives with assurance in a viable manner.
- Sharma A, Raghavan P. (2018 Aug 16)., Ayushman Bharat scheme launch on Sept 25., The Economic Times.
- Ghosh A. (2018 June 14)., Health cover scheme: Who, how. The Indian Express., available https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/national-health-mission-ayushman-bharat-health-mission-jp-nada-health-budget-5216382/[cited August 20, 2018].
- Blake, A. J., Prinja, S., Gupt, A., Jha, V., Jan, S. (2019)., The Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana and the path to universal health coverage in India: Overcoming the challenges of stewardship and governance., https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article? id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1002759
- Sharma, M. (2019, October 1)., Ayushmann Bharat will help create 11 lakhs jobs in next 5-7 years, says PM Modi. India Today., Retrieved from https://www.indiatoday .in/india/story/aayushman-bharat-help-create-11-lakh-jobs-next-5-7-years-narendra-modi-1605292-2019-10-01
- The Economic Times (2018, December 07)., Over 4.6 lakh people benefited under PMJAY so far: Ayushman Bharat Mission CEO., Retrieved from Economic Times: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/over-4-6-lakh-people-benefited-under-pmjay-so-far-ayushman-bharat-mission-ceo/articleshow/66990372.cms
- Social Security (2020)., United States Social Security administration Medicare Benefits; Your health Insurance Coverage., https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/
- Feldstein, P. J. (2007)., Health policy issues: An economic perspective., Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- United States Government (2021)., Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services NHE Fact Sheet., https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealth ExpendData/NHE-Fact-Sheet
- United States Government (2020)., Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission Overview of the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid., https://www.macpac.gov/subtopic/overview-of-the-affordable-care-act-and-medicaid/
- Bajaj Financial Services (2020)., PMJAY- All About Ayushman Bharat Yojana, Eligibility & Application Process., Retrieved from Bajaj Financial Services https://www.bajajfinserv.in/insights/ayushman-bharat-yojana-are-you-eligible-for-the-pmjay-scheme
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (2018)., Operational Guidelines on Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Mission., 2018 [cited 12 October 2018] Available from https://pmjay.gov.in/sites/default/files/ 2019-03/Beneficiary%20Empowerment%20Guidebook.pdf
- ACKO (2020, May 5th)., PMJAY: Ayushman Bharat Yojana Scheme, Benefits, Apply Online., Retrieved from Acko: https://www.acko.com/health-insurance/ayushman-bharat-yojana-scheme/
- National Health Authority Government of India (2018)., About Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) Packages & rates section., Retrieved from National Health Authority: https://pmjay.gov.in/about/pmjay
- National Health Authority Government of India (2018)., About Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY)., Retrieved from National Health Authority: https://pmjay.gov.in/about/pmjay
- Government of India (2018)., Formation of State Health Agency and District Implementation Unit Under Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Mission., Retrieved from pmjay.gov.in: https://pmjay.gov.in/sites/default/files/ 2018-07/State%20and%20District%20ToRs%20for%20 AB-NHPM%20Revised_0.pdf
- Mukherjee, S. (2018, November 1)., How Ayushman Bharat will Impact the health insurance sector in India., Retrievedfromhttps://www.vccircle.com/how-ayushman-bharat-will-impact-the-health-insurance-sector-in-india
- Congressional Budget Office (2018, December 13)., Increase the Payroll Tax Rate for Medicare Hospital Insurance., Retrieved from Congressional Budget Office: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56780
- Medicare Interactive (2018)., Differences between Medicare and Medicaid. Retrieved from Medicare Interactive., Org: https://www.medicareinteractive.org/ get-answers/medicare-basics/medicare-coverage-overview/ differences-between-medicare-and-medicaid
- U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (2020)., Affordable Care Act (ACA)., Retrieved from Health Care.gov https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-care-act/
- Kennan, M. (2018, August 24)., What is the FICA-HI Tax?, Retrieved from Pocket Sense: https://pocketsense.com/ ficahi-tax-1805.html
- World Health Organization (2021)., Global Health Observatory Health Expenditures Current Health Expenditures., https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/ indicators/indicator-details/GHO/current-health-expenditure-(che)-as-percentage-of-gross-domestic-product-(gdp)-(-)
- Prinja, S., Kaur, M., & Kumar, R. (2012)., Universal health insurance in India: ensuring equity, efficiency, Indian Journal of Community Medicine, 37(3), 142. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC3483505/
- Government of India (2018)., Make In India: The Vision, New Processes, Sectors, Infrastructure and Mindset., Retrieved fromhttps://www.makeinindia.com/article/-/v/ make-in-india-reason-vision-for-the-initiative
- Government of India (2020)., Ministry of Finance Budget Highlights (Key Features)., Power Point Presentation pdf https://www.indiabudget.gov.in/
- World Health Organization (2018)., Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Factsheet 2018., Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/universal -health-coverage-(uhc)[accessed 22 October 2018].