Design of fixed wing RC aircraft
- 1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Institute of Engineering, Purwanchal Campus, Dharan, Nepal
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 19-28, January,26 (2020)
This paper can be a guide for designers interested in aeronautics for learning basic design ideas. This paper contains design of high wing, conventional tail, tricycle gear RC model with tractor configuration. This paper mainly concerns on design of RC aircraft which can be used for specialized purposes like gathering weather information, spy planes and experiments. Nose mounted motor with propeller of 8*4.5 inch is used as propulsion unit. Dihedral wing configuration is set up with a dihedral angle of 3° using Clark Y airfoil which has wing span of 96cm, chord length of 19.2cm and the aspect ratio of 5. Designed fuselage has the length of 76cm which holds the electronics component like battery and the receiver. 3D model of the design is developed in Solid Works 2016 followed by simulation of dihedral wing with air velocity of 10m/s at 5° AOA in ANSYS CFX. Simulation result showed that wing produces lift of 6.7248 N. XLFR5 was used for analysis of airfoil and model aircraft. Propulsion system analysis is carried out in MotoCalc to select best power combination for desired performance level.
- Kaisar M.S., Uddin N. and Mashud M. (2015)., Design and Construction of a Radio Controlled Airplane by using Delta Wing., Souvenir from International Conference of Mechanical Engineering and Renewable energy, 26th-29th Nov.
- Krishnamurthy S., Jayashankar S., Rao S.V., T.S.R.K. and Nyamannavar S. (2014)., CFD Analysis of an RC Aircraft Wing., International Journal of Mechanical And Production Engineering, 2, 63-68.
- Raj R., Mishra S.K. and Shrivastava S. (2014)., Design of a RC Aircraft., JSS Academy of Technical Education, Noida.
- Bailey J.N. (2010)., Design of a low cost powered R/C Combat Airplane and Manufacturing Plan., California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
- Sadraey Mohammad H. (2013)., Aircraft Design:A Systems Engineering Approach., A John Wiley & Sons Ltd, USA, 19-47. ISBN 978-1-119-95340-1
- Andre Deperrois. XFLR5. (Version 6.43) [Software]. Available from:http://www.xflr5.com/xflr5.htm.2003, undefined, undefined
- Pamadi Bandu N. (1998)., Performance, Stability, Dynamics and Control of Airplanes, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics., United States of America, 67-110. ISBN: 1-56347-222-8
- Nakayama Y. (1998)., Introduction to Fluid Mechanics., Yokendo Co. Ltd, Japan, 175-176.
- Anderson John D. (2001)., Fundamental of Aerodynamics., The McGraw-Hill Company, New York, USA, ISBN: 0-07-237335-0
- Dutta Soumya (2008)., Design/Build/Fly the Evolution of a Model Airplane., University of Tennessee Honors Thesis Projects, Knoxville.
- Lennon Andy (1996)., Basic of R/C Aircraft Design., Air Age Inc., Ridgefield, USA, ISBN: 0-911295-40-2
- Niu Chung-Yung Michael (1988)., Airframe Structural Design., Conmilit Press Limited, California, USA, ISBN: 962-7128-04-X
- Quora (2018)., How come low aspect ratio wings stall at a higher angle of attack?., https://www.quora.com/How-come-low-aspect-ratio-wings-stall-at-a-higher-angle-of-attack. 11/11/2018
- Pradyumna S.V., Prateek R. and Raju B.S. (2015)., Design, Fabrication & Analysis of a High Winger Conventional Tail Radio., International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, 3, 900-921.
- Rcplane Online (2018)., Trainer Design., https://rcplanes.online/ design.htm. 12/11/2018
- Ansys Inc. ANSYS, (Version 2015) [Software]. Available from:https://www.ansys.com/products/all-products.2015, undefined, undefined
- M.H. Sub I. Wattflyer. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/ showthread.php?t=61448. 14/11/2018, undefined, undefined
- Singhal A., Khumbhkar T., Sadegaonkar A.S., Krishna A., Sreenath A., Zaare S.A., Gautam R. and Pimpalshende V.R. (2016)., Design Report of a Radio Controlled Heavier than air model aircraft., Researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/295402099.
- Capable Computing Inc. MotoCALC (Version 8) [Software]. Available from:http://www.motocalc.com/ motodown.htm. 2018, undefined, undefined
- Anderson J.D. (2010)., Aircraft Performance and Design., Tata McGraw-Hill, India, 51-129. ISBN:0-07-00197-1.