Design and implementation of solar street light for campus environment
- 1Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli, Anambra State, Nigeria
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 7, Issue (11), Pages 13-19, December,26 (2018)
This paper has presented design and implementation of solar street light for campus environment. It is desired to develop a street light system that is powered by solar energy and that should automatically provide light without requiring manual (ON/OFF) operation for campus environment. In order to realize the objective of the paper, design analysis was performed and components purchased. A charge controller was designed using Circuit Wizard. The whole assembly was simulated with a voltage source representing a photovoltaic (PV) cell array, Battery source and a lamp integrated with charge controller circuit. The simulation results showed that the charging voltage, 14.9 V, greater than the battery voltage, 12 V, was obtained meaning that the charge controller regulated the output voltage of the solar panel well enough to charge the battery. It was also observed that the lamp effectively maintained an output voltage of 10 V with direct current of 4.3 A. This paper offer an advantage of an efficient solar street light system that minimize energy consumption and also eliminated the manual switching.
- USAID (2010)., Energy Efficient Street Lighting., Guidelines, 1-14.
- Pimpalkar P.B., Pohane R.K., Daf S.P. and Pode V.P. (2016)., Design and Development of High MAST Solar Street Light., IJARIIE, 2(3), 600-610.
- Wong F.T.K. (2014)., A Cost Effective Solar Powered Led Street Light., A project report submitted to the Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering UniversitiTun Hussein Onn Malaysia.
- Mukund P.R. (1999)., Wind and Solar Power Systems, CRC Press New York City Global Partners (NYCGP)., Best Practice: LED Street Lighting Energy and Efficiency Program, Los Angeles, USA.
- Guo L. (2010)., AC 2010-355: Design and implementation of a solar battery charger., age, 15, 1.
- Fathi M. and Chikouche A. (2010)., LEDs Application to the Photovoltaic Street Lighting., International Conference on Renewable Energies, 101-104.
- Guijuan W., Zuoxun W., Yingchun Z. and Lanyun S. (2011)., A new intelligent control terminal of solar street light., In 2011 Fourth International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, IEEE, 321-324.
- Yongqing W., Chuncheng H., Suoliang Z., Yali H. and Hong W. (2009)., Design of solar LED street lamp automatic control circuit., In Energy and Environment Technology, 2009. ICEET
- Ramadhani F., Bakar K.A. and Shafer M.G. (2013)., Optimization of standalone street light system with consideration of lighting control., In Technological Advances in Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (TAEECE), 2013 International Conference on, IEEE, 583-588.
- Oke A.O., Adigun A.A. and Fenwa O.D. (2013)., Design and Construction of Solar Power-Based Lighting System., International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology, 2(9), ISSN: 2277-9655.
- Mahto S.K. and Tiwari N. (2015)., Design and Construction of Solar PV LEDs Lighting System., International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 4(2), ISSN (Online): 2319-7064, 426-430.
- Priyanka S. and Baskaran K. (2013)., Control of Solar Led Street Lighting System Based On Climatic Conditions and Object Movements., Journal of Information, Knowledge and Research in Electrical Engineering, 3(2), 480-485.
- Electrical Technology (2018)., Complete Solar Panel Installation Design and Calculations with Solved Examples., Step by Step Procedure. www.electricaltechnology.org.