Microgrid and its current status in India: a review
- 1Electrical Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 2Electrical Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 3Electrical Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 4Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 11-15, January,26 (2018)
The traditional power systems globally depends upon the conventional method of power generation by the combination of fossil fuels, but these fuels are being exhausted rapidly and in future it will create huge fuel crises. The global research activities therefore have already initiated to find out the alternatives source of energy through the maximum utilization of renewable energy resources. The individual capacity of renewable energy resources such as, Photovoltaic Generator, and Wind turbine, etc. are small compared to the traditional generation technology such as thermal power station. In this scenario microgrid system is emerging as a probable solution for the power crises. The microgrid is an interconnected system of different types of energy resources such as photovoltaic, wind energy, Biomass, small hydroelectric generation statics, fossil fuel etc. which needs proper coordination for satisfactory operation to meet the load demands. To achieve this coordination, microgrid itself requires good infrastructures so that it can operate in grid and Islanded mode as well as in the situation while faults have occurred in the power network. This paper presents a literature review on the microgrid, its components and its current status in India.
- Lasseter R., Akhil A., Marnay C., Stephens J., Dagle J., Guttromson R. and Eto J. (2002)., The CERTS microgrid concept. White paper for Transmission Reliability Program, Office of Power Technologies., US Department of Energy, 2(3), 30.
- Jayasinghe S.G., Meegahapola L., Fernando N., Jin Z. and Guerrero J.M. (2017)., Review of Ship Microgrids: System Architectures, Storage Technologies and Power Quality Aspects., Inventions, 2(1), 4.
- Zoka Y., Sasaki H., Yorino N., Kawahara K. and Liu C.C. (2004)., An interaction problem of distributed generators installed in a Micro Grid., In Electric Utility Deregulation, Restructuring and Power Technologies (DRPT 2004). Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Conference on IEEE, 2, 795-799.
- Chowdhury S. and Crossley P. (2009)., Microgrids and active distribution networks., The Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Why is Renewable Energy Important? [Online]. Available: http://www.renewableenergyworld. com/rea/tech/home, accessed Feb. 13, 2015., undefined, undefined
- Renewable Energy, Forms and Types of Renewable Energy. [Online]. Available: http://www.altenergy.org/ renewables/ renewables.html, accessed Dec. 13, 2017., undefined, undefined
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. State and Local Climateand Energy Program. [Online]. Available: http://www.epa.gov/statelocalclimate/state/topics/renewable.html, accessed Feb. 13, 2015., undefined, undefined
- Asano H. and Bando S. (2006)., Load fluctuation analysis of commercial and residential customers for operation planning of a hybrid photovoltaic and cogeneration system., In Power Engineering Society General Meeting, IEEE, 6.
- Giacomoni A.M., Goldsmith S.Y., Amin S.M. and Wollenberg B.F. (2012)., Analysis, modeling and simulation of autonomous microgridswitha high penetration of renewable., Proc. IEEE Power Energy Soc. General Meeting, 1-6.
- Sechilariu M., Wang B. and Locment F. (2013)., Building integrated photovoltaic system with energy storage and smart grid communication., IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 60(4), 1607-1618.
- Litifu Z., Estoperez N., Al Mamun M., Nagasaka K., Nemoto Y. and Ushiyama I. (2006)., Planning of micro-grid power supply based on the weak wind and hydro power generation., Power Engineering Society General Meeting, IEEE, 8.
- Wang L., Lee D.J., Chen L.Y., Yu J.Y., Jan S.R., Chen S. J. and Blyden B.K. (2009)., A micro hydro power generation system for sustainable microgrid development in rural electrication of Africa., Proc. IEEE Power Energy Soc. General Meeting, 1-8.
- Alajmi B.N., Ahmed K.H., Finney S.J. and Williams B.W. (2011)., Fuzzy-logic-control approach of a modified hill-climbing method for maximum power point in microgrid standalone photovoltaic system., IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 26(4), 1022-1030.
- Chatterjee A. and Keyhani A. (2012)., Neural network estimation of microgrid maximum solar power., IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 3(4), 1860-1866.
- Energy Storage Association. Unleashing the Power of Energy Storage. [Online]. Available: http:// energystorage.org/ energy-storage, accessed Feb. 13, 2015., undefined, undefined
- Mathworks, https://www.mathworks.com/ matlabcentral/ mlcdownloads/ downloads/submissions/57 720/versions/4 /screenshot.jpg , November 2017., undefined, undefined
- Marnay C. and Bailey O. (2004)., The CERTS Microgrid and the Future of the Macrogrid., LBNL-55281.
- Venkataramanan G., Illindala M.S., Houle C. and Lasseter R.H. (2002)., Hardware Development of a Laboratory-Scale Microgrid Phase 1: Single Inverter in Island Mode Operation., NREL Report No. SR-560-32527 Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Cornea O., Andreescu G.D., Muntean N. and Hulea D. (2017)., Bidirectional Power Flow Control in a DC Microgrid Through a Switched-Capacitor Cell Hybrid DC–DC Converter., IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64(4), 3012-3022. DOI 10.11,09/TIE 2016.2631527, IEEE.
- Berkeley lab, https://building-microgrid.lbl.gov/about-microgrids, November 2017, undefined, undefined
- Jenkings N., Allan R., Crossley P., Kirschen D. and Strbac G. (2000)., Embedded Generation (IEE Power and Energy Series 31)., The Institution of Engineering and Technology, London.
- Benjamin K., Robert L. and Toshifumi I. (2008)., A look at microgrid technologies and testing, projects from around the world., IEEE Power and energy magazine, 6(3), 41-53.
- Pogaku N., Prodanovic M. and Green T.C. (2007)., Modeling, analysis and testing of autonomous operation of an inverter-based microgrid., IEEE Transactions on power electronics, 22(2), 613-625.
- Hatziargyriou N., Asano H., Iravani R. and Marnay C. (2007)., Microgrids., IEEE power and energy magazine, 5(4), 78-94.
- Basak P., Chowdhury S., nee Dey S.H. and Chowdhury S. P. (2012)., A literature review on integration of distributed energy resources in the perspective of control, protection and stability of microgrid., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(8), 5545-5556.
- Li X., Song Y.J. and Han S.B. (2007)., Study on power quality control in multiple renewable energy hybrid microgrid system., Power Tech, 2007 IEEE Lausanne, IEEE, 2000-2005.
- Physical Progress (Achievements) (web). report. Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Govt. of India. Retrieved 18 November 2016., undefined, undefined
- \"Executive Summary Power Sector February 2017\" report. Central Electricity Authority, Ministry of Power, Govt. of India. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 24 April2017., undefined, undefined
- \"Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Annual Report 2015-2016\", undefined, undefined
- \"Non-fossil fuels will form over half of India, undefined, undefined