Study of performance of milling machine for optimum surface Roughness
- 1Production Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, (Chhattisgarh) Pin code– 491001, India
- 2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, (Chhattisgarh) Pin code– 491001, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 32-35, October,26 (2017)
Milling process is used to remove material by a rotating cutter. This process of machining is used by the industries usually, and by cutting away the material which is unnecessary. Milling machine is used to produce a variety of character on a part. Central workshop of Bhilai Institute of Technology Durg which is the top most engineering collage of central India has two milling machines which are used to perform practical’s of engineering students. The aim of this paper is to get optimum surface roughness, which identify the parameter of machine. Surface roughness is one of the most specific consumer requirements in a machining process. Surface roughness actually means fine irregularities of surface texture. Also surface roughness takes place due to the tool chip interface and feed marks in machining process. The quality of surface plays an important role in evaluating productivity of machine tool and machined parts. Several parameters of milling process are there like speed of cutting, feed, Cutting depth, rate of material removal also known as MRR and time taken by the machine etc. which play a critical role on surface roughness. These parameters are focussed on by many researchers and it is found that the process parameter cutting speed, depth of cut and feed are critical parameters which influence the surface roughness of work piece. So from optimization point of view, these three process parameter (feed, cutting depth and speed of cutting) should be selected. A suitable method of optimization is needed to find optimum value of parameters for cutting and minimizing roughness of surface. Taguchi method will be used to get optimum surface roughness. Taguchi’s orthogonal array should be used to determine the parameter setting. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) will be used for result analysis. For carrying out process of machining, Mild steel will be used in water cooling condition in milling machines.
- Selvam M.D., Dawood D.A.S. and Karuppusami D.G. (2012)., Optimization of machining parameters for face milling operation in a vertical CNC milling machine using genetic algorithm., IRACST-Engineering Science and Technology: An International Journal (ESTIJ), 2(4), 544-548.
- Verma Narendra Kumar and Sikarwar Ajeet Singh (2015)., Optimizing Turning Process by Taguchi Method under Various Machining Parameters., International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 2(6), 307-312.
- Raj R. A., Parun T., Sivaraj K. and Kannan T.T.M. (2013)., Optimization of milling parameter of EN8 using Taguchi Methodology., International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, 2, 202-208.
- Sukumar M.S., Ramaiah P.V. and Nagarjuna A. (2014)., Optimization and prediction of parameters in face Milling of Al-6061 using Taguchi and ANN Approach., Procedia Engineering, 97, 365-371.
- MaiyarLohithaksha M., Ramanujam R., Venkatesan K. and Jerald J. (2013)., Optimization of Machining Parameters for End Milling of Inconel 718 Super Alloy Using Taguchi Based Grey Relational Analysis., International Conference on DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING, IConDM2013, 64, 1276-1282.
- Sumesh A.S. and Melvin Eldho Shibu (2016)., Optimization Of Drilling Parameters For Minimum Surface Roughness Using Taguchi Method., IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE), 12-20.
- Ghani J.A., Choudhury I.A. and Hassan H.H. (2004)., Application of Taguchi method in the optimization of end milling parameters., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 145, 84-92.
- Alagarsamy S.V., Raveendran P., Arockia Vincent Sagayaraj and Tamil Vendan (2016)., Optimization of machining parameters for turning of aluminum alloy 5 using taguchi method., International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 3, 316-322.
- Ribeiro João, Lopes Hernâni, Queij Luis and Figueired Daniel (2016)., Optimization of Cutting Parameters to Minimize the Surface Roughness in the End Milling Process Using the Taguchi Method., Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering, 61(1), 30-35.
- Thakre Avinash A. (2013)., Optimization of Milling Parameters for Minimizing Surface Roughness Using Taguchi‘s Approach., International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, 3(6), 226-230.
- Bajić D., Lela B. and Živković D. (2008)., Modeling of machined surface roughness and optimization of cutting parameters in face milling., Metalurgija, 47(4), 331-334.
- Quazi T.Z., More P. and Sonawane V. (2013)., A case study of Taguchi method in the optimization of turning parameters., International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Advanced Engineering, 3(2), 616-626.
- Alam S., Nurul Amin A.K.M. and Patwari A.U. (2008)., Surface Roughness Prediction Model in High Speed End-Milling of Ti-6Al- 4V., Competitive Manufacturing, Proc of the 2nd Intl & 23rd AIMTDR Conf
- Vijaya B., Teja K. and Rajasekhar K. (2013)., Multiple response optimization of Milling parameters on AISI 304 Stainless steel using grey-taguchi method., International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, 2(8), 2335-2341.
- Gopalsamy B.M., Mondal B. and Ghosh S. (2009)., Taguchi method and ANOVA : An approach for process parameter optimization of hard machining while machining hardened steel., Journal of scientific and Industrial research, 68, 686.
- Khidhir B.A. and Mohamed B. (2011)., Analyzing the effect of cutting parameterson surface roughness and tool wear when machining nickel based hastel¬loy – 276., IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineer-ing, 17(1), 1-10.