Strength behaviour of soil stabilized with fly ASH and sugarcane bagasse ASH
- 1Department of Civil Engineering, VSSUT, Burla, Odisha, India
- 2Department of Civil Engineering, VSSUT, Burla, Odisha, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 1-5, October,26 (2017)
Enhancement of load carrying capacity and shear strength of soil has been improved by soil stabilization. The largely used soil stabilizing agent is fly ash, the waste from coal-fired power plant, which is produced over 100 trillion each year creating thoughtful dumping as well as ecological complications in India. Sugarcane bagasse ash is a fibrous residue of sugarcane stalk that remains after extraction of sugar, when incinerated gives the ash. The present investigation made to weigh up the efficiency of silty sands blended with sugarcane bagasse ash and fly ash for soil stabilization. CBR and Standard Proctor Test are carried out on samples primed from fly ash admixed soil modified through sugarcane bagasse ash. Samples prepared by means of 2% sugarcane bagasse ash content with fly ash content varying from 0% - 20% along with an increase of 5% by the dry mass of soil. In addition to fly ash the specific gravity and MDD are decreased with increased in OMC.CBR value of unsoaked and soaked sample was maximum with increase of 86% and 55% respectively at 5% FA + 2% SBA.It is noticed in these tests that stabilization of soil using sugarcane bagasse ash along with fly ash improves the strength as well as effective to reduce the negative impact of agricultural plant and coal-fired power plant waste by product on environment.
- Chhachhia A. and Mital A. (2015)., Review on improvement of clayey soil stabilized with bagasse ash., 4(1), 238-240. ISSN (2278-6643).
- Phanikumar B.R. and Sharma R.S. (2014)., Effect of fly ash on Engineering properties of expansive soils., Journal of Geotechnical and GeoenvironmentalEngineering, 764-767.
- Bose B. (2012)., Geo engineering properties of expansive soil stabilized with fly ash., Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 17, 1339-1353.
- Prabhakar J., Dendorkar N. and Morchhale R.K. (2004)., Influence of fly ash on strength behaviour of typical soil., Construction and building materials,18(4), 263-267. www.elseview.com.
- Senol A. (2012)., Effect of Fly ash and polypropylene fibres content on the soft soils., Bull EngGeol Environ, 71(2), 379-387. www.elseview.com
- Ferguson G. (1993)., Use of self-cementing fly ashes as a soil stabilizing agent., Proceedings of session on fly ash for soil improvement, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, 36, 1-14.
- Edil T.B., Sandstrom L.K. and Berthouex P.M. (1992)., Interaction of inorganic leachate with compacted pozzolanic fly-ash., J. Geotech.Eng., 118(9), 1410-1430.
- Fatahi B., Le T.M., Fatahi B. and Khabbaz H. (2013)., Shrinkage properties of soft clay treated with cement and geofibers., Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 31(5), 1421-1435.
- Fatahi B. and Khabbaz H. (2012)., Mechanical characteristics of soft clay treated with fibre and cement., Geosynthetics International, 19(3), 252-262.
- Mir B.A. and Sridhran A. (2013)., Physical and compaction behaviour of clay soil-fly ash mixtures., GeotechGeolEng, 31(4), 1059-1072.
- Hasan H., Dng L., Khabbaz H., Fatahi B. and Terzaghi S. (2016)., ICTG., Published by Elsevier B.V., 143, 1368-1375.
- Mir B.A., Jha J.N. and Gupta K. (2016)., Some studies on the behaviour of Sugar cane bagasse ash Admixed with cement stabilized soil., International conference on soil and environment, ICSE, 2016, Bangalore, 1-8.
- Nguyen L.D., Fatahi B. and Khabbaz H. (2014)., A constitutive model for cemented clays capturing cementation degradation., International Journal of Plasticity, 56, 1-18.
- Chavan P. and Nagkumar M.S. (2014)., Studies on Soil stabilization by using bagasse ash., International Journal of Scientific Research Engineering & Technology (IJSRET), ISSN: 2278-0882 ICRTIET-2014, 89-94.
- Varaprasad C.R. and Sharma R.K. (2014)., Influence of sand and fly ash on clayel soil stabilisation., 36-40. IOSR-JMCE, e-ISSN: 2278-1684, ISSN: 2320-334X.
- Cokca E. (2001)., Use of Class C fly ashes for the stabilization of an expansive soil., Journal of Geotechnical and Geo environment Engineering, 127(7), 568-573.
- Kaushik P.N., Sharma K.J. and Prasad D.C. (2003)., Effect of fly ash and lime- fly ash on characteristics of expansive soils., Proc. of IGC2003, Roorkee, 459-462.
- Manjesh L., Ramesh N.H., Kumar M. and Sivapullaiah P.V. (2003)., CBR values of soil-flyash mixture for road construction., In Proc. Indian Geotechnical Conf., Roorkee, India, December, Indian Geotechnical Society, 1, 451-454.
- Pradhan P.K., Kar R.K. and Naik A. (2012)., Effect of random inclusion of polypropylene fibers on strength characteristics of cohesive soil., Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 30(1), 15-25.
- Cordeiro G., Toledo Filho R., Tavares L. and Fairbairn E. (2008)., Pozzolanic activity and filler effect of sugar cane bagasse ash in Portland cement and lime mortars., Cement and Concrete Composites, 30(5), 410-418.