Mitigation of voltage disturbances (Sag/Swell) utilizing dynamic voltage restorer (DVR)
- 1Electrical Engineering Department, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, CG, India
- 2Electrical Engineering Department, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, CG, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 1-7, September,26 (2017)
The paper focuses in the working of Dynamic Voltage Restorer (DVR), a series compensating device utilized for mitigating the events of voltage sag and swell which are most crucial and frequent phenomena occurring in transmission and distribution network. The sag and swell have severe impact to industrial customers ranging from disruptions of sensitive loads to substantial economic losses up to millions of dollars. The control algorithm used for detection of voltage disturbance depends on the theory of synchronous reference frame utilizing park’s transformation. The sinusoidal pulse width modulation technique is used for the generation of triggering pulses for IGBT’s of voltage source inverter. Matlab/Simulink is used for simulation of the proposed methodology and the result of simulation verifies the proposed scheme.
- PQS (2000)., Power Quality Solutions for Industrial Customers., California Energy Commission.
- Shankaran C. (2002)., Power Quality., CRC Press, Boca Raton London New York Washington, D.C., ISBN 0-8493-1040-7.
- Hingorani N.G. (1995)., Introducing Custom Power., IEEE Spectrum, 32(6), 4l-48.
- IEEE P 1159 Working Group (1994)., Recommended practice for monitoring electric power quality., Technical report, Draft 5.
- Omar R. and Rahim N.A. (2008)., Modelling and Simulation for Voltage Sags/Swells Mitigation using Dynamic Voltage Restorer., Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference, Paper p-027, 1-6.
- Boonchiam P., Apiratikull P., and Mithulananthan N. (2006)., Understanding of Dynamic Voltage Restorer through Matlab Simulation., Thammasat Int. J. Sc. Tech., 11(3), 1-6.
- Nielsen J.G., Newman M., Nielsen H. and Blaabjerg F. (2004)., Control and Testing of a Dynamic Voltage Restorer at medium voltage level., IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 19(3), 806-813.
- Ghosh A. and Ledwich G. (2002)., Power Quality Enhancements Using Custom Power Devices., Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Chaudhary S.H. and Gangil Gaurav (2014)., Analysis, Modelling and Simulation of Dynamic Voltage Restorer for Compensation of Voltage sag-swell Disturbances., IOSR Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 9(3), 36-41.
- Francis D. and Thomas T. (2014)., Mitigation of Voltage sag and swell using Dynamic Voltage Restorer., International Conference on magnetic and Drives, 1-6, 978-1-4799-5202-1/14.