Design and optimization of a low pressure vessel
- 1BIT Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 2BIT Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (7), Pages 1-6, August,26 (2017)
A pressure vessel is cylindrical closed container in which liquid or gas can be hold at a pressure other than the ambient pressure. The caps fitted at the ends of the cylindrical body are called as heads. The aim of this research is to carry out detailed design & analysis of a pressure vessel for the application of air storage. It is a low pressure vessel since the internal pressure is 1.48 MPa. In this research paper geometrical and finite element model of pressure vessel (for air storage application) has been done using ANSYS 15.0 software. Optimization process has been also applied using ANSYS 15.0 by screening method. This optimized value reduces the stresses (13.10 % for head and 9.088 % for shell) in the pressure vessel, which will increase the life of the pressure vessel and reduce the chances of bursting the pressure vessel. The optimized value of mass reduces the weight (18.57% for shell), hence reduce the material cost of the vessel.
- Saidpatil Vishal V. and Thakare Arun S. (2014)., Design & Weight Optimization of Pressure Vessel Due to Thickness Using Finite Element Analysis., International Journal of Emerging Engineering Research and Technology, 2(3), 1-8.
- Lewinski Jerzy (2014)., Equivalent Stress In A Pressure Vessel Head With A Nozzle., Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 52(4), 1007-1018.
- Hassan S., Kumar K., Raj C.D. and Sridhar K. (2014)., Design and Optimisation of Pressure Vessel Using Metaheuristic Approach., Applied Mechanics and Materials, 465, 401-406.
- nasseri S.h., Alizadeh Z. and Taleshian F. (2012)., Optimized Solution of Pressure Vessel Design Using Geometric Programming., Journal of Mathematics and computer Science, 4(3), 344-349.
- Carbonari R., Munoz-Rojas P., Andrade E., Paulino G., Nishimoto K. and Silva E. (2011)., Design of pressure vessels using shape optimization: An integrated approach., International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 88, 198-212.
- Liu Peng-fei, Xu Ping, Han Shu-xin and Zheng Jin-yang (2008)., Optimal design of pressure vessel using an improved genetic algorithm., Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A, 9(9), 1264-1269.
- Ayob Amran and Elbasheer Kabashi M. (2007)., Optimum Autofrettage Pressure in Thick Cylinder., Journal Mekanika, 24, 1-14.
- Raj Naveen N., Akash A.R. and Anishek S. (2014)., Design and Finite Element Analysis of a Pressure Vessel., 1st International Conference on Mechanical Engineering: Emerging Trends for Sustainability, IC MEES-2014.
- ASME (2013)., American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Digital Product Definition Practices ASME SECTION-II PART D (METRIC) 2013., American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, 2013.
- Bhandari V.B. (2014)., Design of Machine Elements., McGraw Hill Education (India) Private Limited, Third Edition, 768-795. ISBN: 978-0-07-068179-8