An investigation into the effect of fabric thickness on button pullout strength
- 1Department of Textile Engineering, Port City International University, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- 2Department of Textile Engineering, Port City International University, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- 3Dept of Apparel Engineering, Shyamoli Textile Engineering College, Dhaka-1205, Bangladesh
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (11), Pages 39-42, December,26 (2017)
It is significant for trimmings of a garment to have at least same lifetime of the garment; otherwise, the garment would be rejected or lose its appeal. Buttons of a garment are one of the trims that have an essential role in easiness of wearing and aesthetic outlook. However, they encounters heavy force and abrasion during daily uses which make them susceptible to degradation. Therefore, it is noteworthy to explore the appropriate button pulling strength to incorporate in a particular fabric. Concerning this matter, the present study explores the effect of fabric thickness on the pulling strength of button. In this study button pulling tests were carried out on 100% polyester pique fabric of five different GSM (180, 190, 200, 210, and 220). The results show higher button pullout strength with the increase in fabric GSM. The study also engages to employ a relation between fabric GSM and pulling strength for the particular fabric type. The result of the study is expected to eventually help the designers, product developers, and quality managers to predict how materials or products will behave in their intended use or what changes in materials are required to control its behavior during application.
- Song Guowen (2011)., Imporving Comfort in Clothing., Woodhead Publishing, 87. ISBN: 978-0-85709-064-5
- 75 Customer Service Facts, Quotes & Statistics. https://www.helpscout.net/75-customer-service-facts-quotes-statistics/. 4/11/2017, undefined, undefined
- Asia (2017)., QC Tailored for the Apparel Industry., https://www.asiainspection.com/testing/garments-apparel. 4/11/2017.
- Abu Saleh M., Abu Nafiz Khondokar and Saiful Azam Md (2009)., An Introductory Knowledge about Garments Manufacturing Technology., Books Fair Publications, 263. ISBN: 978-984-8776-03-2
- Mogahzy El Y. (2008)., Engineering Textiles-Integrating the Design and Manufacture of Textile Products., Woodhead Publishing, 39. ISBN: 9781845695415
- Clothing Safety for Children. Provincial Injury Prevention Program. Alberta Health Services. https://myhealth. alberta.ca/alberta/Pages/clothing-safety-for-children.aspx. 6/10/2017., undefined, undefined
- Kh. Mashiur Rahman. Button Pull Test and Buttonhole Requirements. http://autogarment.com/button-pull-test-buttonhole/ 6/10/2017), undefined, undefined
- Das S., Hossain M., Rony M.S.H., Hashan M.M., Haque A.U. and Majumder M. (2017)., Analyzing Technical Relationships among GSM, Count and Stitch Length of (1x1) Rib and (1x1) Grey Interlock Fabric., International Journal of Textile Science, 6(2), 64-71.
- Abebe A., Daniels J., McKean J.W. and Kapenga J.A. (2001)., Statistics and Data Analysis., 188.
- Glock R.E. and Kunz G.I. (2005)., Apparel manufacturing: Sewn product analysis., Prentice Hall., 548. ISBN: 81-7758-076-0