Remote monitoring system of telecommunication digital equipment
- 1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Namibia University of Science and Technology, Namibia
- 2Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Namibia University of Science and Technology, Namibia
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (11), Pages 30-38, December,26 (2017)
Namibia exhibits typical desert climatic conditions classified as generally arid, implying that the potential evaporation is higher than the precipitation. This results in very low humidity, and temperatures exceeding 45°C. This high ambient temperature adversely affects the performance of temperature sensitive telecommunication equipment and devices which experience device shut down or exhibit continuous system reboot. Thus, affecting the quality of telecommunication broadband network services provided. The research paper presents an innovative intelligent system monitoring Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) equipment rooms; designed using a mobile phone with GSM technology and temperature and biometric sensors. The system is designed to remotely monitor access and environmental conditions of the DSLAM unit using a low-cost microchip (18F45K22PIC). The microcontroller (18F45K22PIC) is at the heart of the system collecting the data from the temperature and the biometric sensors, and transmitting the data via AIRLINK GSM portal to the registered remote mobile phone user by GSM in real time for remedial action. The microcontroller monitors the system and enables an external cooling in cases when the ambient temperature goes above the set threshold. Monitoring of access and environmental conditions plays an important role in the effective management and delivery of the telecommunication broadband network. Monitoring and timely action greatly eases the daily maintenance and management, boosting network operation reliability and ensuring network Quality of Success (QoS). This embedded system can prove to be beneficial to Telecom Namibia in tracking and avoiding malfunction of the telecommunication broadband equipment’s.
- Government of Namibia, https://www.gov.na/population/ 29/5/2017, undefined, undefined
- Telecom Namibia, Telecom Namibia Annual report 2013-2014(Accessed 2016-10-8), undefined, undefined
- Huawei Technologies Proprietary (SmartAX MA5600/5603 Multi-service Access Module) http://www.huawei.com /21/7/2016., undefined, undefined
- GNV S.S.M.S. and Prakash Babu G. (2013)., Implementation of GSM Based Heart Rate and Temperature Monitoring System., Research Journal of Engineering Sciences, 2(4), 43-45.
- Murugan T., Periasamy A. and Muruganand S. (2015)., Embedded based Industrial Temperature Monitoring System using GSM., International Journal of Computer Applications, 5(4), 599-602.
- Mohammad J.M., Ghamarnia H., Amieian S. and Nezhad R.M. (2012)., Design GSM-SMS based system for old structured greenhouses with monitoring and logging network sensor., International Research Journal of Applied and Basic Science, 3(7), 1497-1507
- Elago E.K. (2016)., Intelligent monitoring system of DSLAM at Telecom Namibia (Unpublished Bachelor of Technology research report) Namibia University of Science and Technology., Windhoek Namibia.
- Texas Instruments (2016)., National Semiconductors, LM35 precision centigrade temperature sensor datasheet., http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/investor_relations/pr_09_23_2011_national_semiconductor.html,24/7/2016
- GateKeeper-HiTekSecurity, https://www.hiteksecurity.net /images/products/gatekeeper/BR-004.pdf ,8/10/2016, undefined, undefined
- Wireless Connectivity Provider- Linkwave, https:/ /linkwave.co.uk/sites/default/files/AirLink_FX_Series_User_Guide_Rev9_0.pdf,8/10/ 2016, undefined, undefined
- Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller, https:// www. alldatasheet.com/Hd44780,12/11/2016, undefined, undefined
- BiPOM Electronics INC (2016)., Microcontroller to sensor interfacing techniques., https://www.bipom.com 3/8/2016
- Delta Electronics-Digi Key Electronics, https://www. digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/AFB0712VHB-F00/603-1806-ND/4376258, 10/9/2016, undefined, undefined
- JHD 162A datasheet, http://www.datasheetspdf.com/ PDF/JHD162A/512991/1,3/8/ 2016, undefined, undefined
- Mikroe.com, https://www.download.mikroe.com/documents/add-on-boards/other/interface/max232/max232-board-manual-v100.pdf.5/8/2016, undefined, undefined