Performance analysis of AVR without controller and with particle swarm optimization (PSO)-PID tuned controller
- 1Deptt. of EE, BIT, Durg, India
- 2Deptt. of EE, BIT, Durg, India
- 3Deptt. of EE, BIT, Durg, India
- 4Deptt. of EE, BIT, Durg, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 15-19, November,26 (2017)
This paper presents the study and comparison of controller applied for stabilization of an automatic voltage regulator (AVR) system. The AVR without any controller does not ensure robust stability of the system. To ensure this characteristic, PID controller is used in conjunction with voltage regulator and PSO algorithm is used to tune the parameters of PID to get the better outputs. MATLAB turned out to be a useful tool and it is used for the optimization process. The paper also shows us the comparison of AVR output without controller and with PSO tuned PID controller.
- Yoshida H., Kawata K., Fukuyama Y., Takayama S. and Nakanishi Y. (2000)., A particle swarm optimization for reactive power and voltage control considering voltage security assessment., IEEE Transactions on power systems, 15(4), 1232-1239.
- Gaing Z.L. (2004)., A particle swarm optimization approach for optimum design of PID controller in AVR system., IEEE transactions on energy conversion, 19(2), 384-391.
- Nirmal J.F. and Auxillia D.J. (2013)., Adaptive PSO based tuning of PID controller for an Automatic Voltage Regulator system., In Circuits, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT), 2013 International Conference on IEEE, 661-666.
- Shabib G., Gayed Mesalam Abdel and Rashwan A.M. (2010)., Optimal Tuning of PID Controller for AVR System using Modified Particle Swarm Optimization., 14th International Middle East Power Systems Conference (MEPCON’10), Cairo University, Egypt, December 19-21, 2010, Paper ID 170.
- Kasilingam G. (2014)., Particle swarm optimization based pid power system stabilizer for a synchronous machine., World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Energetic, Electronic and Communication Engineering, 8(1), 111-116.
- Anderson A. and Fouad A. (1994)., Power System Control and stability., IEEE Power systems.
- Bhatt V.K. and Bhongade S. (2013)., Design of PID controller in automatic voltage regulator (AVR) system using PSO technique., International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), 3(4), 1480-1485.
- Solihin M.I., Tack L.F. and Kean M.L. (2011)., Tuning of PID controller using particle swarm optimization (PSO)., International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, 1(4), 458-461.
- Wong Ching-Chang, Li Shih-An and Wang Hou-Yi (2009)., Optimal PID Controller Design for AVR System., Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering, 12(3), 259-270.
- Clerc M. and Kennedy J. (2002)., The Particle swarm-explosion, stability, and convergence in a multidimensional complex space., IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary computationvol, 6(1), 58-73,
- Martins Fernando G. (2005)., Tuning PID Controllers using the ITAE Criterion., Int. J. Engng Ed., 21(5), 867-873.
- Singh M., Patel R.N. and Jhapte R. (2016)., Performance comparison of optimized controller tuning techniques for voltage stability., 2016 IEEE First International Conference on Control, Measurement and Instrumentation (CMI), IEEE, 11-15.