Prospects of utilization of construction and demolition waste for developing structural grade concrete – the way forward
- 1Bridge Engineering & Structures Division, CSIR-Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi –110025, India
- 2Bridge Engineering & Structures Division, CSIR-Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi –110025, India
- 3Bridge Engineering & Structures Division, CSIR-Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi –110025, India
- 4Civil Engineering Dept., Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg–491001, CG, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 10-14, November,26 (2017)
Disposal of Construction and Demolition Waste (CDW) poses serious challenges worldwide. Recycling of CDW to produce recycled aggregates can minimize the gap between demand and supply of natural aggregates in construction sector. Use of recycled aggregates in structural applications has not gained momentum due to non-availability of standard guidelines pertaining to specifications, concrete mix design procedures for producing structural grade concrete i.e. M35, M40, M45, M60 and self compacting concrete. The present study is aimed to develop the above guidelines for producing structural grade concrete i.e. M35, M40, M45, M60 and self compacting concrete from the locally available commercial RCA.
- Pacheco-Torgal F., Tam V., Labrincha J., Ding Y. and de Brito J. (2013)., Handbook of recycled concrete and demolition waste., Elsevier.
- Sustainable Construction Materials (2013)., Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials – Design, Performance, and Application, Wuhan, China., ASCE Publication, 18th–22th October.
- Bhattacharyya S.K., Minocha A.K., Garg Mridul, Singh Jaswinder, Jain Neeraj, Maiti S. and Singh S.K. (2013)., Demolition Wastes as Raw Materials for Sustainable Construction Products, GAP 0072 (DST Project)., CSIR-CBRI Newsletter, 33(2), 1-2.
- Sakai Koji and Noguchi Takafumi (2013)., The Sustainable Use of Concrete., CRC Press Publication.
- Pacheco- Torgal F., Jalali S., Labrincha J. and John V.M. (2013)., Eco-efficient Concrete., WP Publication.
- Pie re–Claude Aietcin and Sidney Mindess (2011)., Sustainability of Concrete., Spon Press Publication.
- Babu V.S., Mullick A.K., Jain K.K. and Singh P.K. (2014)., Mechanical Properties of High Strength Concrete with Recycled Aggregate-Influence of Processing., Indian Concrete Journal, 85(5), 10-27.
- Limbachiya M.C., Leelawat T. and Dhir R.K. (2000)., Use of recycled concrete aggregate in high-strength concrete., Materials and Structures (RILEM), 33(9), 574-580.
- Zega C.J. and Di Maio A.A. (2010)., Recycled concretes made with waste ready-mix concrete as coarse aggregate., Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 23(3), 281-286.
- Hansen T. (1986)., Recycled Aggregate and Recycled Aggregate Concrete Second State of the Art Report Developments 1945-1985., Materials and Structures (RILEM), 19(3), 201-246.
- Zhang Haimei, Ma Shuo and Wu Yanyan (2011)., Building Materials in Civil Engineering., WP Publication.
- Plain I.S. (2000)., Reinforced Concrete–Code of Practice (4th Revision).,
- Surya M., Rao Kanta V.V.L. and Lakshmy P. (2015)., Mechanical Durability and Time – Dependent Properties of Recycled Aggregate Concrete with Fly-Ash., ACI Materials Journal, 112(5), 653-661.
- Li Zongjin (2011)., Advanced Concrete Technology., John Wiley & Sons Publication.
- Irving Kett (2010)., Engineered Concrete – Mix Design and Test Methods., CRC Press Publication.
- Knaack A. and Kurama Y.C. (2013)., Design of Concrete Mixture with Recycled Aggregates., ACI Materials Journal, 110(5), 483-494.
- IS 13311 (Part 1) (1992)., Indian Standard, Non-Destructive Testing of Concrete – Method of Test., PART 1, Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity, Indian Standard, UDC 666.972.620.179.16